I'm Just Amazed At How Boston And Toronto Can Impose Their Will On The Orioles So Easily.

ORIOLE33

We live in die by the HR. If we hit 0 HR's we are toast. We will usually only manage to get a 1-2 runs without it. It's a struggle to get multiple runs when we have runners in scoring position with less than two outs. Davis, Trumbo, Schoop all swing for the fences and end up striking out most of the time.

We need to score 4-5 runs per game to beat teams like TOR/BOS. We just don't have the starting pitching talent (besides Tillman) to really shut a team like that down.

I would say Gausman is one who can too. Hell, he did it just two weeks ago with 8 shutout innings in Fenway. He wasn't his best last night though that's for sure - he's still prone to the long-ball at times.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't something new with AJ. He's been spewing the "I'm gone swing my way out of this slump" nonsense for years. If they can get something back for him, I wouldn't mind trading him.

Me too. I'm not a big fan of Adam Jones. He just swings at everything and anything, terrible decision to bat him lead off too.

We live in die by the HR. If we hit 0 HR's we are toast. We will usually only manage to get a 1-2 runs without it. It's a struggle to get multiple runs when we have runners in scoring position with less than two outs. Davis, Trumbo, Schoop all swing for the fences and end up striking out most of the time.

We need to score 4-5 runs per game to beat teams like TOR/BOS. We just don't have the starting pitching talent (besides Tillman) to really shut a team like that down.

Most of the time?

I understand this is mainly venting, but Adam Jones has been roughly the 13th-most valuable Oriole position player since the franchise moved from St. Louis 62 years ago. I suppose he'd be a first ballot HOFer if only his approach wasn't total nonsense.

I realize that you are saying this ironically, but I actually think it's true. Adam Jones is a very good player who could have been a great player if he had better pitch recognition and plate discipline.

I realize that you are saying this ironically, but I actually think it's true. Adam Jones is a very good player who could have been a great player if he had better pitch recognition and plate discipline.

I think that's total nonsense. "You're among the top 0.001% of ballplayers, but if you weren't hopelessly flawed you'd be a lot better!"

I would have been a HOF if only I could hit run and throw.

Somebody needs to wake the O's up, and let them know that their playoffs have started now. They look like they have no heart.

o

That's on Showalter.

He's the manager.

It's his job to see to it that if his players do not have access to the internet, newspapers, or television sets, that they be aware of just where they are in the standings.

Did you major in being a contrarian or was that just something you stumbled upon along the course of your life?

So what are you complaining about here? Is it that you really believe that Adam Jones' lack of plate discipline is a choice and he's choosing to be worse than he could be on purpose? Or is it that you just saw an opening to get a dig in on me, since you don't like the way I root for the Orioles?

Some of you on this site take everything literally.

Just like when I was "corrected" earlier that every game means the same. A game in April means the exact same as a game in late September. SMH

So, when you make an erroneous post, it is the reader's fault if he takes your words to mean what they say? Is that it? Why blame others if your communication efforts are ineffective? The other poster was, of course, correct that a win in April has the same value as a win in September. In fact, one could argue that, without a sufficient number of wins early on, September games are rendered pretty much meaningless, win or lose. If you mean to say that the Orioles seem to break down under the pressure as the pennant race heats up, say that, don't say that a win now is worth more that a win earlier in the year. It simply isn't. Frankly, I'm not sure that I agree that the Orioles have a tendency to fail late in the year, as it seems to me that the reverse has actually been the case for the most part in Buck's years with the club.

If it bothers you to have this pointed out to you, maybe it would be a good idea to try a different approach. Who knows? Maybe if you tried being more accurate with your wording, you might just find yourself shaking your head less often.

I think that's total nonsense. "You're among the top 0.001% of ballplayers, but if you weren't hopelessly flawed you'd be a lot better!"

Let me address this a little less... sarcastically, I suppose. Do you believe that Adam Jones plate discipline is a result of his approach or his ability?

I think it's at least 90/10 ability; he simply doesn't have the ability tell a ball from a strike quickly enough to be able to react in a way that lets him draw significant numbers of walks.

Archived