Buck Stuff

ChuckS

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Showalter on using Zach Britton in 2-2 tie vs. Blue Jays in Toronto. Not alt universe, but July 31. HT <a href="https://twitter.com/StaceyMFolk">@StaceyMFolk</a> <a href="https://t.co/uSxr2b3qY0">https://t.co/uSxr2b3qY0</a> <a href="https://t.co/QqbiV5rXAn">pic.twitter.com/QqbiV5rXAn</a></p>— Minor Leaguer (@Minor_Leaguer) <a href="
">October 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:rofl:

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL No to this one too. :laughlol:

The Britton decision last night could have gone either way OK He puts Britton in the 9th and 10th WE DON'T SCORE and guess what we just blew our best pitcher it works both ways.

Score a damn run and Britton comes on and Buck's a genius.

ALL managers are on the Hot Seat at some point in their careers. It usually comes after the "Professional Writers" need someone to "Fillet" because most of their previous stories were wrong. ANy writer that is second guessing Buck Showalter after last nights game had better serve up proof that they had the Orioles in the playoffs from Spring Training on or just shut up already because you have very little credibility to begin with.

That's nonsense. So Buck, IYO, shouldn't be questioned just because his team wasn't supposed to be there?

I think after five seasons of .500+ baseball, it takes more than one bad playoff game to put Buck on the hot seat. Perhaps if he had a losing season next year, he'd then be on the hot seat.

But I do think that Buck's veneer of infallibility was shattered. Most posters, including myself, have been very willing to give Buck the benefit of the doubt on judgment calls because his track record on them has been very good over the years. I think next year you will see a lot more second guessing of his decisions. Maybe the press will even start to ask questions about strategic decisions on a regular basis -- though I doubt it.

I'm sorry, but did you and I watch a different game? The Orioles went to the pen AFTER the game was tied. Givens comes in, throws one pitch, inning ending double play.

Our pen was SOLID. No question about it. Except for Jimenez, they shut down any potential threat. Tell me also WHY you would bring in Britton in a situation without a lead, knowing he doesn't pitch more than one inning in almost all appearances. We use him up, we don't gain the lead and then he's used up. Doesn't make sense to me in my opinion.

My suggestion, you go throw your resume at the warehouse in hopes of getting hired as the manager if you think you could so much better than our current staff. Maybe then, you will realize it isn't as easy black and white as you think it is.

o

The bullpen was (as they have so often been throughout this season) outstanding last night.

Throughout the majority of the entire season, they have performed well, in spite of twice losing Darren O'Day, and in spite of often working with little margin for error because of shaky starters and an erratic offense.

I would not be surprised if historically, these Orioles teams (2012-Present) go down in Orioles lore as "The Bullpen" era ........ and/or "The Bullpen and Home Run" era.

o

The bullpen was (as they have so often been throughout this season) outstanding last night.

Throughout the majority of the entire season, they have performed well, in spite of twice losing Darren O'Day, and in spite of often working with little margin for error because of shaky starters and an erratic offense.

I would not be surprised if historically, these Orioles teams (2012-Present) go down in Orioles lore as "The Bullpen" era ........ and/or "The Bullpen and Home Run" era.

I think these Orioles will go down as the worst hitters in our history.

And I have no problem not using Zach in that situation. But to replace Kim with Reimold??????????? Inexcusable! And I have a man crush on Nolan since 2011

But I dang sure would not have put in Ubaldo. Anyone but him. In fact I muted the tv once he trotted out there and watched videos on youtube.

But then again I wanted Bob Stoops gone as Oklahoma's football coach several times over the years. So don't ask me - Im an idiot//////

That's nonsense. So Buck, IYO, shouldn't be questioned just because his team wasn't supposed to be there?

Question away, but do not assume it was not the correct decision at the time (not bringing in Britton to start the eleventh). I do question as to why it was not Hunter or Bundy instead of Ubaldo. Jimenez has had a history of Poor first innings, Hunter and Bundy have had "Shut Down" stuff this year.

With Liriano pitching for Toronto, the Orioles were apt to not score for another three to five innings. As recently as September 28th he shut the Orioles out for six innings with 10 Strike Outs. So I think not using your closer when the outcome was undefined because of recent history was the proper move. Not using Hunter/Bundy would have been my choice.

Tell me also WHY you would bring in Britton in a situation without a lead, knowing he doesn't pitch more than one inning in almost all appearances.

Regular season & playoffs are not the same. 1-inning relievers are called upon to get 5+ outs all the time in the postseason. Britton was prepared to go two last night.

As for the WHY, the Bluejays had the heart of a very potent lineup coming up and all the other reliable Os relievers had already pitched. If not then -- then when?

LOL No to this one too. :laughlol:

The Britton decision last night could have gone either way OK He puts Britton in the 9th and 10th WE DON'T SCORE and guess what we just blew our best pitcher it works both ways.

Score a damn run and Britton comes on and Buck's a genius.

Exactly. Just one home run swing in any one of five innings against Toronto's bullpen and NONE of these threads exist. Zero. Buck managed with the idea that his best shot was getting that 1 home run and nailing it down with Zach. I agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great, Buck saved Britton for a save chance that never happened. Maybe we don't score again in that game. Britton would have atleast given them a couple more AB to try. Maybe Britton gives it up. Maybe we score and Hunter or Bundy blow it. Unfortunately we will never know. But to leave the guy that gives you the best chance sitting is a bad decision. There was no tomorrow. The save was preventing Toronto from winning.

The sad part is this may have likely been our last playoff shot for who knows how long. The rotation is going to be bad again next year. Unless they decide to eat A LOT of money. They're going to have an expensive Longman and two guys in the rotation that won't be any better next year.

The only good I take from last night is I won't ever have to watch Nolan Reimold in an Orioles uniform again...and I'm not even sure that's the case.

I consistently hammer DD for his bone head decisions and Buck has made some terrible in game decisions lately. But, they have brought us back to relevance in the AL east, which isn't easy with a payroll that ranks behind 4 out of 5 teams. They have both earned the right to stay imo. If DD had 50 million more to spend and Buck had more horses, this wouldn't be an issue. But, we have to deal with the reality of who we are. DD will have to do a better job of building the farm and continue dumpster diving. Buck will have to continue to do an outstanding job of managing people and become more flexible. But, I think we should stick with relevance. Given our payroll and division, what other choice do we have?

Archived