Trade Britton

25 Nuggets

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Blanton is almost single handily blowing the Dodgers chances to make the All star break. He has had a decent year but the way he pitched this post season and not great past numbers I would think they realize they need some back end of the pen help even if they sign Jansen. I could see them going after Chapman as well or a possible trade partner with us for Britton, Brock or Givens.

Probably because Pence, Duffy and Blanco all went on the DL as well as they and maybe others playing hurt. But SF had the second fewest strikeouts for the whole season. And they made it further into the playoffs than the O's. The point stands. People around here complain about the O's "approach" at the plate. It's not the approach as much as who these hitters are.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see any correlation whatsoever between team strikeouts and team success.

Just look at this year. The team with the fewest strikeouts in baseball -- by a large margin -- was the Angels, who struck out 100 fewer times than the next-closest team. They finished 74-88 and well out of the postseason race. Second was the Giants, who made the NLCS, and third was the last-place Athletics. Then the Red Sox, who had a great year, followed by the Yankees and Marlins, both of whom missed the playoffs.

The Blue Jays, who made the ALCS, had the eighth-most strikeouts in baseball, more than the Orioles.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't see any correlation whatsoever between team strikeouts and team success.

Just look at this year. The team with the fewest strikeouts in baseball -- by a large margin -- was the Angels, who struck out 100 fewer times than the next-closest team. They finished 74-88 and well out of the postseason race. Second was the Giants, who made the NLCS, and third was the last-place Athletics. Then the Red Sox, who had a great year, followed by the Yankees and Marlins, both of whom missed the playoffs.

The Blue Jays, who made the ALCS, had the eighth-most strikeouts in baseball, more than the Orioles.

Obviously I'm not saying the team with the fewest strikeouts is the best offensive team in baseball. The Angels are lacking in other areas, mainly power and slugging. Are you suggesting have the fewest number of strikeouts is somehow not a good thing? A high number of strikeouts would imply a lower OBP, but clearly there are other things going on. The Cubs have more strikeouts than the O's, but they have the most walks in the league, so there is a balancing out. Something tells me the O's are never going to have anywhere near the most walks in the league with their current lineup.

Yeah, the Cubs had the most walks in the league this year even thought they struck out slightly more than the O's.

Zobrist and Fowler as compared to Schoop and Jones

Fowler 79 Walks, 124 Strikeouts, .276/.393/.447/.890

Zobrist 96 Walks, 82 Strikeouts, .272/.386/.446/.831

Jones, 39 Walks, 115 Strikeouts, .265/.310/.436/.746

Schoop, 21 Walks, 137 Strikeouts, .267/.298/.454/.752

You get more for Britton trading him at the deadline.

That's what I'd do. If we are out of contention/hovering around .500 at the deadline.

These threads seem to pop up every offseason. Unfortunately, it's just not going to happen.

I don't think that's generally true. It's true if a contender has multiple injuries to their pen, but the fact that the team trading for Brittan would get 6 tenths of a season more by trading for him before the season should make him more valuable now than then.

I don't think that's generally true. It's true if a contender has multiple injuries to their pen, but the fact that the team trading for Brittan would get 6 tenths of a season more by trading for him before the season should make him more valuable now than then.

Zach Britton would also have another year of team control prior to his Free Agency. So the trading team would get two months plus and a complete season.

Ruz, the reason pitchers (predominantly relief pitchers) garner more at the deadline is because pitching is such an unpredictable position. Yes, the team would prefer to have a player for longer, but they also want someone who is healthy and "in a groove". We have all seen pitchers get hurt (Bundy, Harvey, etc.) or lose their mechanics (Ubaldo). So a team may have less time with the player, but they get a higher level of certainty with what they expect to get from the pitcher.

I would look to move britton, but I wouldnt be desperate. If I dont get a great package, I let him pitch a 1.5 ERA, 25 saves, 2.0 FIP, and 10 SO/9 for the first half of the season and then see who bites.

Ruz, the reason pitchers (predominantly relief pitchers) garner more at the deadline is because pitching is such an unpredictable position. Yes, the team would prefer to have a player for longer, but they also want someone who is healthy and "in a groove". We have all seen pitchers get hurt (Bundy, Harvey, etc.) or lose their mechanics (Ubaldo). So a team may have less time with the player, but they get a higher level of certainty with what they expect to get from the pitcher.

I would look to move britton, but I wouldnt be desperate. If I dont get a great package, I let him pitch a 1.5 ERA, 25 saves, 2.0 FIP, and 10 SO/9 for the first half of the season and then see who bites.

What if we are in first place at the trade deadline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobrist and Fowler as compared to Schoop and Jones

Fowler 79 Walks, 124 Strikeouts, .276/.393/.447/.890

Zobrist 96 Walks, 82 Strikeouts, .272/.386/.446/.831

Jones, 39 Walks, 115 Strikeouts, .265/.310/.436/.746

Schoop, 21 Walks, 137 Strikeouts, .267/.298/.454/.752

Zobrist- 4/56M

Schoop 1/522,500

I'll take Schoop.

Archived