• Created
  • Last Reply
Zobrist and Fowler as compared to Schoop and Jones

Fowler 79 Walks, 124 Strikeouts, .276/.393/.447/.890

Zobrist 96 Walks, 82 Strikeouts, .272/.386/.446/.831

Jones, 39 Walks, 115 Strikeouts, .265/.310/.436/.746

Schoop, 21 Walks, 137 Strikeouts, .267/.298/.454/.752

This...

Would you trade Britton to the Nationals for Lucas Giolito (mlb.com #3 prospect/#1 SP)? Or perhaps Britton and Mancini/Walker for Giolito and Victor Robles (mob.com #10 prospect - 5 tool center fielder)?

Here is my thinking? I love Britton, but his stock will never be higher than it is now. (Sell high buy low, right?) The Nationals are close to having a championship team, but have not been able to find a reliable closer to get them over the hump for several years now. The question is whether Giolito is the top of the rotation dominant pitcher he is projected to be, or the dud that fizzled out down the stretch this past year. The Nats won the NL east going away this year and didn't use Giolito in playoffs. There is no reason to think the Nationals will not win the dreadful NL east again next year. I think having a lockdown closer to go with their current roster, gives them a good chance at winning the WS. At least for 2017, they can get by without Giolito.

From the O's perspective, the FA starting pitching pool is not particularly appetizing this year. Thus the O's likely need to manufacture a trade to improve the rotation. If you think Giolito can be what he is projected to be a solid #1, you have to be optimistic about a rotation of Tillman, Giolito, Gausman, Bundy, and Jiminez (in a contract year). Sure the bullpen takes a hit, but with Buck managing the bullpen, I think I would take my chances on him getting the most out of the next guy up - Givens, O'Day, whoever?

If there was a way to tweak the deal to get Robles in as insurance in case Jones leaves at the end of his contract, all the better.

Thoughts?

I would not do it - mainly because Giolito didn't appear to be as good as advertised when he got his chance to play for the Nats. His stuff looked good - but nothing like what Strassburg's was when he came up. And his command was disappointing. He still has a bright future - but I don't see him as a top 3 prospect in baseball.

Robles is a very good prospect - great OBP, but he's years away, imo. MLB.com has him as the Nats 7th best prospect - he'd be higher here. It would take Giolito and Robles to get me to consider giving up Britton. I'd throw in Walker just because I don't think he's a good prospect.

I'd do a Britton/Walker for Giolito/Robles trade in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you would, that's two of the top 5 prospects in baseball. There's zero chance any team would give up that much for a closer, I don't care how good they are.

There's no way the Nats would even consider this trade. I know they want to win now, but giving up a controlled, young pitching stud for one year of a closer? Ain't happening.

They wouldn't. But it's two years for Britton, right?

I'd do it for Robles and Voth/Fedde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you would, that's two of the top 5 prospects in baseball. There's zero chance any team would give up that much for a closer, I don't care how good they are.

I'm not saying you're wrong - just wondering how Robles is a top 5 prospect in baseball while Baseball America ranks him as the Nats' 7th best prospect.

Archived