Thoughts on Hyun-Soo Kim in 2017?

Frobby

I think Kim is going to be much more comfortable...he went through about as much stress as one can go through to start last season and now with him forgoing the WBC, I think he is going to be really dialed in from day 1. I expect improvements offensively.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

His exit velocity is fine, once he adjusted his launch angle he should be good for 15 or so.

Honestly I would rather he keep the flatter launch angle that led to the high BABIP.  Line drives with good exit velocity tend to have a high probability of being hits..

Yeah, I phrased that badly.  It was more of a hope that he finds his stroke (which he seemed to do as the season progressed) than a desire for him to change his approach.  He is not going to make a consistent living beating out infield squibs like he did the first half of 2016.

11 hours ago, El Gordo said:

What were his splits in Korea? He hit LHP pretty well I believe. He should do alright here if given enough PA.

Whether he can hit LHP is the key. I think Buck said something to the effect that they were all over the map. He had some years that he did really well and some years when he was terrible. It seems Buck does not believe he can do it.

I think a lot about Kim depends on the roster make up. I tend to think Buck wants him to be a platoon bat, but the roster make up may eventually lead to him having to be pushed to play everyday. We already have Seth Smith as a clear platoon OF bat. He's shown over multiple seasons he cannot hit LHP. That means we'd have two platoon spots if Kim is handled the same way. If we add someone like Pedro Alvarez to share DH with Mancini than that means we'd have three platoon spots with Kim and Smith and there simply aren't enough bench spots to accommodate that. 

If, however, the Orioles sign Trumbo to DH everyday or add Pagan for LF, than that allows Kim to either platoon at DH with Mancini or platoon in LF with Rickard or someone of the like (assuming the O's add someone else to platoon with Smith like Jennings). 

I hope the Orioles give him a chance to play against LHP in spring training and see what he can do and I hope he shows he can at least handle some more at bats against southpaws. Ultimately, I'd love to add Pagan and push Kim to platoon at DH with Mancini. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Whether he can hit LHP is the key. I think Buck said something to the effect that they were all over the map. He had some years that he did really well and some years when he was terrible. It seems Buck does not believe he can do it.

His splits were very good the last several years he was in Korea.

On 11/11/2016 at 1:38 PM, weams said:

I suspect with more playing time against left-handers, his numbers will become very pedestrian. With only one year of control to him, why not get the best and utilize him to the Orioles benefit.

Any way you cut it, we're stuck with him, (doubt if he has any trade value and ya can't just release him), so ya just have to roll the dice and give him a fairly long leash.  He seems to be a very likable guy, so I'll be rooting for him, but, as a player, he is a big question mark.  If Buck's counting on him to be a big contributor, I think we're in for a long season.  His only value is as a hitter, so he'd better hit.

3 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Any way you cut it, we're stuck with him, (doubt if he has any trade value and ya can't just release him), so ya just have to roll the dice and give him a fairly long leash.  He seems to be a very likable guy, so I'll be rooting for him, but, as a player, he is a big question mark.  If Buck's counting on him to be a big contributor, I think we're in for a long season.  His only value is as a hitter, so he'd better hit.

Other teams value OBP more highly than the O's.  I'm sure they could easily find a team willing to take over his contract.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Other teams value OBP more highly than the O's.  I'm sure they could easily find a team willing to take over his contract.

Well, that's comforting to know.  Care to speculate who?  If possible, would you want to trade him, or are you okay with him?

1 minute ago, ELMERO said:

Well, that's comforting to know.  Care to speculate who?  If possible, would you want to trade him, or are you okay with him?

I wouldn't care to speculate.

As for Kim, yes I am OK with him.  Not happy about the defense of course.  I'd DH him, especially in the roomier ballparks.

He has a great eye, great approach and hits the ball hard.  He also runs down the first base line like a pack of wild dogs is chasing him.

Easy guy to root for, particularly after the raw deal he got from Buck in Spring Training.

I was very disappointed in the fans that booed him on opening day.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As for Kim, yes I am OK with him.  Not happy about the defense of course.  I'd DH him, especially in the roomier ballparks.

He has a great eye, great approach and hits the ball hard.  He also runs down the first base line like a pack of wild dogs is chasing him.

Easy guy to root for, particularly after the raw deal he got from Buck in Spring Training.

Oh, I agree about the booing.  Made me feel ashamed of Baltimore fans.  Yeah, felt bad about Buck's spiteful treatment of him.  Unprofessional.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Kim is one of my favorite Orioles. I think ideally, he would DH most of the time against righties and depending on how he is doing, some of the time against lefties. Then sign a good defensive left fielder like Pagan and platoon Smith in right with Rickard. 

Archived