Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

2 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Just wait until Machado walks and we don't even try to keep him.  That's when the real disaster starts, and it'll be Dan's final middle finger to the fanbase.

Can't really overstate the degree to which I envy people who are old enough to remember '66, '70, and '83.  Must have been fun.  

I remember and was there. The late 60's to the mid 80's were awesome.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Just wait until Machado walks and we don't even try to keep him.  That's when the real disaster starts, and it'll be Dan's final middle finger to the fanbase.

Can't really overstate the degree to which I envy people who are old enough to remember '66, '70, and '83.  Must have been fun.  

Yep. Me too. 

18 minutes ago, Stevie Janowski said:

I enjoyed '89 more than '83. 

16 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

From a personal standpoint or a baseball standpoint?

I wasn't around for '66 and '70 but '83 seemed expected, like it was our due as fans.

'89, coming on the heels of '88 was just exhilarating.  It was just so freakin' unlikely.

Take 2012 and turn it up about two notches.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't around for '66 and '70 but '83 seemed expected, like it was our due as fans.

'89, coming on the heels of '88 was just exhilarating.  It was just so freakin' unlikely.

Take 2012 and turn it up about two notches.

'89 was a lot of fun. I remember Otter and that curve that buckled right and left handed batters knees. Fun year. I also remember exactly where I was when that hideous '88 losing streak ended. Mt Royal Tavern.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

'89 was a lot of fun. I remember Otter and that curve that buckled right and left handed batters knees. Fun year. I also remember exactly where I was when that hideous '88 losing streak ended. Mt Royal Tavern.

You can't fully understand '89 without living through '88.  To go the first month of the season winless...

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't fully understand '89 without living through '88.  To go the first month of the season winless...

'89 remains my favorite Orioles season of my lifetime (born in the mid 70s). More than '83, '97, and 2012. Just a very likable team that far exceeded expectations and produced more than the sum of its parts. I never expected them to win so it did not bother me that they came up short. 

My favorite team was '83. My favorite season was '82 oddly enough. Had to win all 4 of the last four games to get in. Won the first 3 and lost the last game with Palmer taking the loss. I was working right down 33rd street that day and the crowd noise was unbelievable. And I knew they would win the next year. And it happened.

Archived