The Matt Wieters Appreciation Thread

Frobby

It will be a strange scene, considering Wieters, the best catcher in franchise history, was key in molding the Orioles into a consistent winner.

Best catcher in franchise history is debatable.    Hoiles and Dempsey would be strong candidates.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Best catcher in franchise history is debatable.    Hoiles and Dempsey would be strong candidates.

Dempsey didn't have a whole lot of offensive value.  40 percent career CS is pretty impressive though. 

Hoiles wasn't great at throwing out runners, but called a pretty decent game from what I recall.  He was much better than Wieters or anyone else the O's have had at that position offensively.  My vote goes to Hoiles.  

I have it:  1. Hoiles 2. Wieters 3. Dempsey.  Too young to have gotten a chance to watch Dempsey so maybe If I got to see him play I would call it differently.   

Dempsey: 21.3 rWAR in 1245 games

Hoiles: 23.4 rWAR in 894 games

Wieters: 16.3 rWAR in 882 games

I'd rank Wieters third out of that group.    I'm slightly torn between Hoiles and Dempsey even though Hoiles seems to have the better statistical case by a healthy margin.    Dempsey had longevity and he helped a lot of pitchers succeed.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Dempsey: 21.3 rWAR in 1245 games

Hoiles: 23.4 rWAR in 894 games

Wieters: 16.3 rWAR in 882 games

I'd rank Wieters third out of that group.    I'm slightly torn between Hoiles and Dempsey even though Hoiles seems to have the better statistical case by a healthy margin.    Dempsey had longevity and he helped a lot of pitchers succeed.  

Do you think all of these players were clean?

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you know that in his first five years in Baltimore Gus Triandos received MVP votes in four of them?

Triandos and Etcheberren both should be on the list.

Id go:

1. Triandos

2. Dempsey

3. Etcheberren

Anyone who thinks Hoiles is the O's greatest catcher of all time is, umm, misguided, sorry. That's silly. 

8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Triandos and Etcheberren both should be on the list.

Id go:

1. Triandos

2. Dempsey

3. Etcheberren

Anyone who thinks Hoiles is the O's greatest catcher of all time is, umm, misguided, sorry. That's silly. 

What's silly is to put Etchebarren on the list.    He played 12 years for the Orioles and averaged 60 games played per year.    He only had two seasons where he played in half the team's games.    

Archived