Analyzing the 2017 Hitters' Market

25 Nuggets

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

36. In decline. Clubhouse cancer? Arm gone. Still can get on base. 20M? No thanks.

Completely agree.

Give me four years of Trumbo at 67% AAV over one year of Bautista -- I don't care if the deal looks bad.  Bautista's the last guy I want to see.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/25/2016 at 11:36 AM, 25 Nuggets said:

Badder than bad.7-Biker.jpg

(in seriousness I think Trumbo and Bautista will be about even next season)

I don't. One is 36 plus, with a bum shoulder and no access to Canadian Medicine or the man in the white shirt. The other may continue to  improve as a young 30 year old. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 1:11 PM, weams said:

That chip will be even bigger next year.  Personally I like guys that play with a little attitude.  Of course we all hate Bautista because he played for the Jays.  We wouldn't be O's fans if we didn't . But I'd love that dude from day 1 with us.  People outside of Baltimore think of Machado the same way.  

Considering our needs and value, I just don't see how we don't sign this dude.  It's the type of move that could bring us a WS ring.  Plus there's no such thing as a bad 1 year contract.  

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That chip will be even bigger next year.  Personally I like guys that play with a little attitude.  Of course we all hate Bautista because he played for the Jays.  We wouldn't be O's fans if we didn't . But I'd love that dude from day 1 with us.  People outside of Baltimore think of Machado the same way.  

Considering our needs and value, I just don't see how we don't sign this dude.  It's the type of move that could bring us a WS ring.  Plus there's no such thing as a bad 1 year contract.  

Yeah, there is when you are throwing away a first round pick.  Why do you keep bringing this up in so many threads and ignoring the value of the draft pick?  Bautista just isn't worth the $30+ million.  Yeah, the guy's a tool, but that certainly isn't the main reason that signing him would be a disaster.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, there is when you are throwing away a first round pick.  Why do you keep bringing this up in so many threads and ignoring the value of the draft pick?  Bautista just isn't worth the $30+ million.  Yeah, the guy's a tool, but that certainly isn't the main reason that signing him would be a disaster.

Because we only lose like 10 spots in the first round. We would lose our first round pick,  but then gain a pick at the end of the first for Trumbo. 10 spots for me in the MLB draft is not a deterrent for signing a guy. 

http://m.mlb.com/draft/2017/order

We would lose pick 21 but then gain pick 30. Maybe even 29 if a team signing Trumbo is still eligible to lose a pick. So 9 spots in the draft. Likely 8.  Not a big deal. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Because we only lose like 10 spots in the first round. We would lose our first round pick,  but then gain a pick at the end of the first for Trumbo. 10 spots for me in the MLB draft is not a deterrent for signing a guy. 

We would lose pick 21 but then gain pick 30. Maybe even 29 if a team signing Trumbo is still eligible to lose a pick. So 9 spots in the draft. Likely 8.  Not a big deal. 

What about having BOTH picks???

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That would be assumIng that somebody signs Trumbo before June. It's    Very likely but not a sure thing 

How does Trumbo on a 4 year deal square with a tear down/ rebuild?  What if he reverts to Arizona Trumbo?  I like the production and interviews from last year of other players said they love him in the clubhouse because he makes every other hitter better, but then again so did Luke Scott.

Would love to see a hitter signed for a shorter period of time, and a pick retained.

Archived