How Can The Orioles Make Six Starters Into Five?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least we could mix and match with matchups and giving guys an extra day.  It's pretty crappy all the money that we have invested in the three.  But I see us finding ways to start all 6 early on.  It might not be every time through the rotation but Buck will play match ups and keep guys fresh.  Remember that Bundy is still on an innings limit.  NYY and BOS seem to have set lineups already.  It kind of depends on what TB and TOR does.  Miley should be moved around to face LH heavy lineups.  

Don't rule out Bundy starting the year back in relief.

I think the club clearly demonstrated in its Gausman handling that its solution to the Strasburg conundrum is to withhold innings early in the year to ensure the hotshot pitcher is available through the playoffs.

Bundy still warrants some IP management next year.  If he leaves a crack in the door next spring, I won't be surprised if Buck and Dan take it.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

Don't rule out Bundy starting the year back in relief.

I think the club clearly demonstrated in its Gausman handling that its solution to the Strasburg conundrum is to withhold innings early in the year to ensure the hotshot pitcher is available through the playoffs.

Bundy still warrants some IP management next year.  If he leaves a crack in the door next spring, I won't be surprised if Buck and Dan take it.

Bundy was average in relief until they moved him to a starter's schedule.

They have also said he won't have any more of an innings cap than Gausman.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At least we could mix and match with matchups and giving guys an extra day.  It's pretty crappy all the money that we have invested in the three.  But I see us finding ways to start all 6 early on.  It might not be every time through the rotation but Buck will play match ups and keep guys fresh.  Remember that Bundy is still on an innings limit.  NYY and BOS seem to have set lineups already.  It kind of depends on what TB and TOR does.  Miley should be moved around to face LH heavy lineups.  

Bundy would throw 200 innings this year if he could. And he was good. 

21 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Yuch. Neither are suitable for the pen.

Some starter is bound to get injured during the season.  Until a spot opens up they will be pitching in games we are getting blown out in.  They just need to eat up innings they don't have to be stellar out of the bullpen. 

Ubaldo's ceiling is much, much higher than Miley or Gallardo.  I would lock Ubaldo in at the #5 spot and have Miley and Gallardo duke it out for the #4 spot.  If Ubaldo struggles out of the gate, you can always skip his start when the schedule permits, but if he's hot to start the season you can bump him up to #4.  

I wouldn't be shy about DFAing Gallardo if he's awful in the month of April.  Miley I'd give a longer leash because he could be useful as a lefty out of the pen.  

I have a feeling this will work itself out pretty clearly within the first month or two of the 2017 season if not before then.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived