Trading Manny Machado - Buster Olney Article

wildbillhiccup

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The point I was making is that he's the only potental current ML player they have who they might be willing to trade. They're not trading Seager, Pederson is overrated and the rest of their players are too old to target. So if you think we need to get a ML player back in the trade, and you're not a Puig believer, then the Dodgers are not a a fit. 

I'm not sure the Dodgers are the best trade partner and it's a bit early to be speculating on that IMO.  Let's see where we are in another nine months or a year.  

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs will not be trading for Machado in any shape or form, 100% guaranteed. #1, doing so shaves years off their window, #2 it puts them into luxury tax, #3 the money they have coming open in 2018 from Lackey/Arrieta/Davis etc etc will be spent on a FA pitcher. The Cubs already have the best IF in baseball.

11 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

The Cubs will not be trading for Machado in any shape or form, 100% guaranteed. #1, doing so shaves years off their window, #2 it puts them into luxury tax, #3 the money they have coming open in 2018 from Lackey/Arrieta/Davis etc etc will be spent on a FA pitcher. The Cubs already have the best IF in baseball.

h61073963.jpg

As I posted, I don't see why the Cubs would do this, but, man, ease up a bit.

6 hours ago, Number5 said:

h61073963.jpg

As I posted, I don't see why the Cubs would do this, but, man, ease up a bit.

Not sure why you're reading it like it was angry. I gave you 3 reasons why it wont happen. If this was 2019 and the Cubs were in the first year of their owning their own network then who the hell knows what they'll do with all that revenue, but until then it wont.

18 hours ago, esmd said:

Agreed.  IMO, whatever team would trade for him would be a team that would view him as the piece that puts them over the top to win a WS.  The Cubs are already there.  Maybe a team like the Dodgers, Giants, Mets, Phillies (if they rebuild quicker than expected), Angels, Rangers, etc.  I don't see us trading him within the division, so forget NY, Boston, or TOR.

The Phillies. The Phillies!

Lol...not sure what your context is there.  Are you advocating a trade with them due to their farm system, or do you think it ridiculous that I include them?  I admit it's a stretch, but lets say they somehow bounce back to a .500 record this year or close to it.  They could see Manny as the piece that elevates them back to being a WS contender.  With Buchholz and Hellickson atop the rotation, I could see them winning 7-8 more games than last year.  Maybe even a few more if things break right.  Plus they've got the money to sign some FAs next offseason in addition to a potential Machado trade.  All depends on how much they want to win.  They certainly have the market/resources.

8 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Not sure why you're reading it like it was angry. I gave you 3 reasons why it wont happen. If this was 2019 and the Cubs were in the first year of their owning their own network then who the hell knows what they'll do with all that revenue, but until then it wont.

Not anger so much as presumptive arrogance.  There are, maybe, a half-dozen or so humans on the planet that can make the unequivocal pronouncement you made here, and, though one never knows who is on the other keyboard in a message board thread, I'm pretty darn sure that you aren't one of them.  I would seriously doubt that any of the few people who actually do possess that knowledge would make it public on a forum such as this.  Your guarantee is, therefore, quite meaningless, and detracts from your message.  As I said, I agree with your opinion.  Like you, I don't see any reason that the Cubs would consider trading away prospects/players now for Manny Machado.  The need just doesn't appear to be there.  Free agency in two years, maybe, but not now.  I posted as much prior to your post.  There is no need for you to attempt to convince me further, as I've never disagreed with your opinion.  It is your delivery that I find disagreeable. 

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't see anybody touching Boston or Cleveland this year in the AL. With that thought in mind, I would look at dealing Macado for the 

Dodgers  top two pitching prospects and take the first step towards building a dominant staff that will be here long after Machado departs. Machado is at his highest peak value-wise and see no reason to hang onto him any longer when we have a ready made third baseman waiting in the wings.

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Not anger so much as presumptive arrogance.  There are, maybe, a half-dozen or so humans on the planet that can make the unequivocal pronouncement you made here, and, though one never knows who is on the other keyboard in a message board thread, I'm pretty darn sure that you aren't one of them.  I would seriously doubt that any of the few people who actually do possess that knowledge would make it public on a forum such as this.  Your guarantee is, therefore, quite meaningless, and detracts from your message.  As I said, I agree with your opinion.  Like you, I don't see any reason that the Cubs would consider trading away prospects/players now for Manny Machado.  The need just doesn't appear to be there.  Free agency in two years, maybe, but not now.  I posted as much prior to your post.  There is no need for you to attempt to convince me further, as I've never disagreed with your opinion.  It is your delivery that I find disagreeable. 

Prognosticators are almost always wrong, when it comes to the Orioles. 

Predicting the outcome of a baseball season before it's played is a losing proposition.   I think our fate this year largely depends on whether the starting pitching builds on the improvement it showed in the second half of last year.    And we don't know if it will improve, stagnate or regress.   

Archived