Trading Manny Machado - Buster Olney Article

wildbillhiccup

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Like I said, depends on Angelos. He went crazy for Chris Davis...

Dunno. Manny might or may not want to be let loose at 28, even if he is getting premium dollars. If Angelos isn't interested in that deal, he wont be a longer one either. 

Just now, jabba72 said:

Dunno. Manny might or may not want to be let loose at 28, even if he is getting premium dollars. If Angelos isn't interested in that deal, he wont be a longer one either. 

I wondered about Manny liking the deal. I mean it's a buttload of money, in hand. And then at 28 he would still get another large FA contract.

The issue for me is that the Orioles approach would not have made much sense if they deal Machado and Jones. Why give Davis a long deal and lose a pick only to deal Machado and Jones? If you want to deal Britton for a really good package of players you probably should have done so by now given the high price and demand on the closer market.

I guess to me, MLB is the only sport of the North American big 4 where it's not an even playing field. Sure the Astros or Orioles or whoever can give out a Chris Davis contract or a Carlos lee contract, etc. but then they pay for it later while the big markets can stash away any mistake contracts they please and still outspend others.

The NHL cannot survive without a cap, they know it. The NBA had competitive balance issues before cap, they still do now but it's because of this super team thing and not because big markets dominate. 

to be honest, if the big giant NFL can go to a salary cap, there is no reason why baseball should not. 

Baseball has to get with the times because inevitably it is likely to get to that point anyway.

1 minute ago, Machado13 said:

I guess to me, MLB is the only sport of the North American big 4 where it's not an even playing field. Sure the Astros or Orioles or whoever can give out a Chris Davis contract or a Carlos lee contract, etc. but then they pay for it later while the big markets can stash away any mistake contracts they please and still outspend others.

The NHL cannot survive without a cap, they know it. The NBA had competitive balance issues before cap, they still do now but it's because of this super team thing and not because big markets dominate. 

to be honest, if the big giant NFL can go to a salary cap, there is no reason why baseball should not. 

Baseball has to get with the times because inevitably it is likely to get to that point anyway.

If you think the Jazz have the same chance at free agents that the Heat and Lakers do...

Large, metropolitan cities on the coasts will always have an advantage.

58 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I don't really subscribe to this theory.  People in Maine probably don't really care that much about baseball, and carriage fees on cable tv are becoming less important.  This logic could stretch pretty far to nonsensical positions, such as the Blue Jays media market being the largest of them all, with the entire ~35 million person population of Canada being counted as part of its region.

edit to add: I don't doubt Boston's revenue potential, but it's not because of its market size.  It's because the Red Sox are a founding member of the AL, and they've had many more years to develop a following, and because their century of marketing efforts by the team have resulted in the team becoming part of Boston's cultural fabric.

It doesn't matter if people in Maine care about baseball or not. If they are in the Red Sox area and they have cable then the Red Sox are getting money.  Just like here where most people never watch an Orioles game yet they pay MASN if they have satellite or cable package. 

8 minutes ago, Machado13 said:

Baseball teams make a ton of money. Even the small market teams do.  No reason to shut the league down for 2 years to get a salary cap.  

8 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Does anybody trust DD in getting a fair package for Manny in return? I don't.

I don't think it's just DD.  I don't think that teams who would want 2 years of Manny have the resources to give up a fair package for Manny or would be willing to do so.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you think the Jazz have the same chance at free agents that the Heat and Lakers do...

Large, metropolitan cities on the coasts will always have an advantage.

No I know location plays a part, but when money is at even playing field, eventually you get the parity as good players for the most part naturally chase the $.

I don't see a Manny trade which would be in the huge category taking place as a midseason deadline deal.  Only contenders will deal for a short term use of Manny and if they are contending in midseason, they likely already have a 3rd baseman and disrupting a team in contention with an every day player replacing another everyday player is tricky.  Not like adding a pitcher.  I think it either gets done in this winter or next winter, but actually I really think it does not get done and he walks for a pick after 2018. 

15 minutes ago, cimota said:

Baseball teams make a ton of money. Even the small market teams do.  No reason to shut the league down for 2 years to get a salary cap.  

Something will have to give soon. At end of the day, the big markets can spend 3x what anyone else can and still spend even after their mistakes.

all owners are rich for sure, but it's not good for the sport if it's an uneven playing field which it still is.

Archived