What might the team look like in 2019?

El Gordo

Thinking about 2019, what MiL players do we have that could conceivably fill positions we are going to lose. We seem to have the pitching but we most likely will need a SS, 3B, and at least 2 OF( I have a sneaking suspicion AJ will be extended and moved to RF) I am wondering who we might go after in the 2018-19 FA cornucopia to supplement what we have in house . We will have plenty of money to spend if the payroll stays in the 150-170M range .

This is a tough question to answer unless the "Crystal Ball" becomes a little less cloudy.

First question would be as to who the GM and Manager will be in 2019.  If both are not resigned then I think the new GM and his manager will want to start with a fresh team. 

Davis and O'Day will still be under contract. 

Several players will be into the Arbitration process. (Schoop, McFarland, Gausman, Joseph, Verret, Givens, Wilson, Wright, Bundy, Garcia, Rickard)

Some will still be Pre-Arb and under control. (Pena, Drake, Hart, D.Alvarez, Aquino, C. Walker, Mancini, Bridwell, Liranzo, Kunkel)

A lot would depend on the In-Season moves that may be made and that will depend on the standings during the 2017 campaign.  You could see Machado, Britton and Tillman all traded for prospects. An Adam Jones trade would need to come early before he becomes a 5/10 player. 

There will be two draft classes that will be added to the mix unless they pick all highschool players. 

The two rule five picks this year will either stick or be returned and that keeps things a bit cloudy also.

Any endeavor to actually make a 2019 roster decision by fans seems a bit futile at this time but can be fodder for discussion.

Eh, just for the "h" of it...

SP: Gausman
SP: Bundy
SP: Gunkel
SP: Wells
SP: Hess
RP: Some FA
RP: Wilson
RP: Wright
RP: Scott
RP: Hart
RP: Yacabonis
CP: Givens

C: Sisco
C: Wynns

1B: Davis
2B: Schoop (Jonathan or Sharlon)
SS: FA
3B: Dosch
INF: Flaherty
INF: Mancini
INF/OF: C. Walker

OF: Hays
OF: Dickerson
OF: Rickard
OF: FA
OF: Santander/Tavarez

3 hours ago, thezeroes said:

This is a tough question to answer unless the "Crystal Ball" becomes a little less cloudy.

First question would be as to who the GM and Manager will be in 2019.  If both are not resigned then I think the new GM and his manager will want to start with a fresh team. 

Davis and O'Day will still be under contract. 

Several players will be into the Arbitration process. (Schoop, McFarland, Gausman, Joseph, Verret, Givens, Wilson, Wright, Bundy, Garcia, Rickard)

Some will still be Pre-Arb and under control. (Pena, Drake, Hart, D.Alvarez, Aquino, C. Walker, Mancini, Bridwell, Liranzo, Kunkel)

A lot would depend on the In-Season moves that may be made and that will depend on the standings during the 2017 campaign.  You could see Machado, Britton and Tillman all traded for prospects. An Adam Jones trade would need to come early before he becomes a 5/10 player. 

There will be two draft classes that will be added to the mix unless they pick all highschool players. 

The two rule five picks this year will either stick or be returned and that keeps things a bit cloudy also.

Any endeavor to actually make a 2019 roster decision by fans seems a bit futile at this time but can be fodder for discussion.

Given that so many feel we are doomed after 2018 I think it deserves reflection.

I agree with the first part of thezeroes post. It all depends on who the GM and Manager are. We know what types of teams Dan and Buck build. Will new guys want a total rebuild? Will they want to spend money on the FA market? Let's enjoy this season and the next as I'm sure they will do the best to make us competitive during these two years.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's pretty bad -- see Legend_Of_Joey's post.   

It doesn't have to be.  If they trade Manny and Britton next off season  than they will get back some replacements.   Sedlock, Akin and Harvey should be majors by 2019.   If the O's sign Trumbo to a 4 year contract he will still be in the middle of the order.   Schoop moves to 3B  an the O's pick up a 2B..   Sisco is in he major hopefully at catcher.

If the O's do what they should this off season after signing Trumbo they trade Mancini plus some prospects for a young outfielder.   Rickard, Tavares and the new outfielder join Jones so that the O's do not have to add in the outfield in 2019.

There is plenty of hope for the future if the O's re-sign Buck and Dan. 

It's been slow at work. So I made a 5-year outlook off the top of my head - sorry in advance for stupid mistakes. 2019 doesn't look great, but I wouldn't say it's terrible. If some things break the O's way things could actually look good. For instance, what if Sedlock, Akin, and Harvey all become who we want them to become. That's a better rotation than any in the last 5 years. What if Sisco is a stud. What if Hays becomes a stud or above average. I assume we extend Tillman and Jones will probably want to stay here forever. Britton gets traded no matter what for a quality package that gets a major league ready infielder. If things are looking good you extend Manny or you trade him to compete in a quick turnaround. Plus we still have a few drafts with multiple top 100 picks. A lot can change in a few years.

Put me in the optimistic camp for competing over the next 5 years with or without a quick rebuild.

Orioles 5 year.JPG

5 minutes ago, oceanicvoyage said:

It's been slow at work. So I made a 5-year outlook off the top of my head - sorry in advance for stupid mistakes. 2019 doesn't look great, but I wouldn't say it's terrible. If some things break the O's way things could actually look good. For instance, what if Sedlock, Akin, and Harvey all become who we want them to become. That's a better rotation than any in the last 5 years. What if Sisco is a stud. What if Hays becomes a stud or above average. I assume we extend Tillman and Jones will probably want to stay here forever. Britton gets traded no matter what for a quality package that gets a major league ready infielder. If things are looking good you extend Manny or you trade him to compete in a quick turnaround. Plus we still have a few drafts with multiple top 100 picks. A lot can change in a few years.

Put me in the optimistic camp for competing over the next 5 years with or without a quick rebuild.

Orioles 5 year.JPG

First of all, I repped this post because of all the thought and work it took to put it together.    Thanks for putting in the time.

That said, I'm not as optimistic as you that our prospects are going to pan out, especially on the timetable shown here.   Sedlock, Akin and Hays have not yet played full-season ball, while Mountcastle and Harvey (who will spend most of 2017 on the DL) haven't played above low A.   Expecting significant contributions from any of them in 2019 seems premature to me.    Stewart's probably as ready as he's going to be by then, but I'm not convinced he'll be any good.  Mancini's fully baked, but I'm waiting to see if he's anything more than a 2nd division DH (I do have some hopes he'll be better than that).   Overall, there are lots of other "serviceable" guys on your list who I would put in the "big ifs" category.

Factor in Davis declining as he ages, and the same with Jones if he is extended, and the open question of whether the O's can/will extend Tillman, and it's a worrisome picture.

The great unknown for both the 2017-18 Machado Orioles and the post-Machado era is how good do Gausman and Bundy get?  Their upside is high enough to become a playoff-caliber nucleus unto themselves.  They are the bellwethers of the next two years as well - I think we know what we have in the rest of the club, and if they can be the straw that stirs the drink, the team will be very good as usual.

Why are we concerned about 2019?  The Yankees will have Machado, Harper, Donaldson, and Kershaw then.  The White Sox just got two of the best prospects in the game.  In the National League, the Cubs are set up for a decade of dominance and the Brewers have Davies and Hader.

We should give up now and every move should be geared to win in 2034.

41 minutes ago, dan-O said:

1B: Flaherty

2B; Flaherty

3B: Flaherty

SS: Flaherty

LF: Reimold

CF: Flaherty

RF: Davis

C: Cisco

DH: Mancini 

I don't think you move Davis with that contract and how realistic do you think it is for Flaherty to throw it and catch it?  I'd switch those two.

It's hard to play the "what if" game with position players because outside of top 5 picks, we really haven't produced any this century.  Roberts, Markakis, MW, Reimold, Machado, Schoop, Joseph.  

The bright spot is that it seems that we've had really good drafts the last few years.  This team needs to extend guys like Schoop, Gausman, and hit the international market hard.  

1B Davis

2B Schoop

3B (Mountcastle)

SS (Manny)

LF Rickard

CF(Tavarez)

RF (Hays, Santander)

C Sisco

DH Mancini

Archived