Round 1

1 Rays > Tim Beckham, H.S. SS, (GA)

2 Pirates > *Pedro Alvarez, College 3B/1B, Vanderbilt

3 Royals > Buster Posey, College C, Florida State

4 Orioles > #Justin Smoak, College 1B, South Carolina

5 Giants > Gordon Beckham, College SS, Georgia

6 Marlins > *Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego

7 Reds > Aaron Crow, College RHSP, Missouri

8 White Sox > *Kyle Skipworth, H.S. C, (CA)

9 Nationals > *Eric Hosmer, H.S. 1B, (FL)

10 Astros > Shooter Hunt, College RHSP, Tulane

11 Rangers > *C. Friedrich, College LHSP, E. Kentucky

12 Athletics > Yonder Alonso, College 1B, Miami (FL)

13 Cardinals > Tim Melville, H.S. RHSP, (MO)

14 Twins > Brett Lawrie, H.S. 3B/C, (Canada)

15 Dodgers > Aaron Hicks, H.S. CF/RHSP, (CA)

16 Brewers > Andrew Cashner, College Closer, TCU

17 Blue Jays > *Brett Wallace, College 1B, Arizona State

18 Mets > Ethan Martin, H.S. RHSP, (GA)

19 Cubs > Jake Odorizzi, H.S. RHSP, (IL)

20 Mariners > *R. Havens, College 2B, South Carolina

21 Tigers > Casey Kelly, H.S. SS, (FL)

22 Mets > *Jason Castro, College Catcher, Stanford

23 Padres > *Ike Davis, College 1B/OF, Arizona State

24 Phillies > Tanner Scheppers, College RHSP, Fresno St

25 Rockies > *Zach Collier, H.S. OF, (CA)

26 D'Backs > Alex Meyer, H.S. RHSP, (IN)

27 Twins > #Jemile Weeks, College 2B, Miami

28 Yankees > *David Cooper, College 1B, California

29 Indians > *C. Gillaspie, College 3B, Witchita State

30 Red Sox > *Anthony Hewitt, H.S. OF/SS, (CT)

Supplemental Round 1

31 Twins > Gerritt Cole, H.S. RHSP, (CA)

32 Brewers > Brad Holt, RHSP, UNC-Wilmington

33 Mets > Josh Fields, College Closer, Georgia

34 Phillies > Tyson Ross, College RHSP, California

35 Brewers > *Kyle Lobstein, H.S. LHSP, (AZ)

36 Royals > Tyler Ladendorf, JC SS/2B, Howard (TX)

37 Giants > Ryan Perry, College RHP, Arizona

38 Astros > *Mike Montgomery, H.S. LHSP, (CA)

39 Cardinals > *Brett DeVall, H.S. LHSP, (FL)

40 Braves > Zeke Spruill, H.S. RHSP, (GA)

41 Cubs > *Dennis Raben, College OF, Miami

42 Padres > Bryan Price, RHRP, Rice

43 D'Backs > Zach Putnam, College Closer, Michigan

44 Yankees > Ross Seaton, H.S. RHSP, (TX)

45 Red Sox > Destin Hood, H.S. OF, (AL)

46 Padres > Chris Carpenter, College RHSP, Kent St.

Round 2

47 Rays > Zach Stewart, College Closer, Texas Tech

48 Pirates > Daniel Webb, H.S. RHSP, (KY)

49 Royals > *Wade Miley, College LHSP, Louisiana-Monroe

50 Orioles > Harold Martinez, H.S. SS/3B, (FL) > Major risk/Major reward

Greg, what do you think/know about this kid Hewitt that seems to be flying up draft boards. A month ago he wasn't even on top 100 lists.

Callis names him as the player with the highest upside and now he seems to be a late 1st rounder.

Love it Greg. After seeing your top 100 list, I was wondering if we would be able to land a Martinez/Galloway type HS talent in round 2, and if they are successful it could be very beneficial to our system. Martinez was once thought of as a guy who sneak into the top 10 if not top 5 was he not? What exactly has led to his dramatic slide?

Also, on a another note, where do you think Andy Burns will be projected to go? I see you have him at number 67 on your list, and I was hoping that the O's would draft him even though his Rocky Mountain HS squad just beat us in the state championship this Saturday.

Greg, what do you think/know about this kid Hewitt that seems to be flying up draft boards. A month ago he wasn't even on top 100 lists.

Callis names him as the player with the highest upside and now he seems to be a late 1st rounder.

Very talented & multi-tooled to rival TBeck, but his skills are not as refined... as yet. I'd love to have him. :)

Very talented & multi-tooled to rival TBeck, but his skills are not as refined... as yet. I'd love to have him. :)

BA projected him to the Phillies and now you have him to the Sox, what are the chances he drops to the 2nd round?

Is he commited to a good college program?

Sorry for all the questions but the last time I saw a High Schooler rise so quickly he ended up drafted one pick in front of us and is now the top prospect in the game.(Bruce)

Love it Greg. After seeing your top 100 list, I was wondering if we would be able to land a Martinez/Galloway type HS talent in round 2, and if they are successful it could be very beneficial to our system. Martinez was once thought of as a guy who sneak into the top 10 if not top 5 was he not? What exactly has led to his dramatic slide?

Also, on a another note, where do you think Andy Burns will be projected to go? I see you have him at number 67 on your list, and I was hoping that the O's would draft him even though his Rocky Mountain HS squad just beat us in the state championship this Saturday.

Martinez at #50 is simply trying to reignite a serious talent. Yeah, Martinez' mechanics are terribly messed up, and has been all season. The right pro coach or possibly something as simple as eye-glasses/contacts could turn the kid around. He was a possible #1 overall pick coming into the season. Getting him at #50 would be a high risk/high reward proposition. I'd do it. It's possible he'll be there at #82... but I like his monster upside too much to hope he falls. I may change my mind... still time.

Burns should go anywhere from late R2 to early R4.

Martinez at #50 is simply trying to reignite a serious talent. Yeah, Martinez' mechanics are terribly messed up, and has been all season. The right pro coach or possibly something as simple as eye-glasses/contacts could turn the kid around. He was a possible #1 overall pick coming into the season. Getting him at #50 would be a high risk/high reward proposition. I'd do it. It's possible he'll be there at #82... but I like his monster upside too much to hope he falls. I may change my mind... still time.

Burns should go anywhere from late R2 to early R4.

Thanks a lot Greg. I would absolutely love a guy like Martinez in the system. And as far a Burns is concerned I hope he gets drafted to a team that suits him well. He's a good kid with a hell of an arm.

Even though this is a very hard question to answer, do you see any possible sleepers or sliders with talent that could fall to us in rounds 2-5? Heck if we could get a couple of guys that make half the impact that Arrieta has made with these picks then we'll be golden.

Greg, is there any truth to the reports that Matusz is at the top of the O's board or is that just a lot of smoke and mirrors?

I don't see how there is any way that you, I, or anyone outside the Orioles organization could know this. So...

Thanks a lot Greg. I would absolutely love a guy like Martinez in the system. And as far a Burns is concerned I hope he gets drafted to a team that suits him well. He's a good kid with a hell of an arm.

Even though this is a very hard question to answer, do you see any possible sleepers or sliders with talent that could fall to us in rounds 2-5? Heck if we could get a couple of guys that make half the impact that Arrieta has made with these picks then we'll be golden.

Every draft there are players that fall due to concerns over finances and/or signability. High Schoolers in particular have options, so for example, Tyler Stovall, a lefty starter from Hokes Bluff HS in Alabama is a late R2-late R3 candidate based on talent, but a strong committment to Auburn and a desire to bat & pitch could see him slide down a few rounds. Casey Kelly, the R1 H.S. SS prospect from Florida has a committment to play QB for Tennessee, yet word is that he'll sign to play baseball only as a SS. Some teams prefer him as a pitcher.... not really the same scenario, but this is another example of the occassional difficulties and underlying issues in dealing with some HS'ers. Personally I think Kelly goes in R1 as a SS, but you get my point.

Tyson Ross, a big righty starter at California has serious talent, but the results have been mixed, frustrating souts. He is R1 material, but may drop to us at #50 or farther.

Allan Dykstra, the big 1B'man from Wake Forest has monstrous power and has been pitched around the whole year on a weak offensive WF squad, and his numbers have suffered... he could also fall. He has late R1/supplemental talent, but could drop to #50 as well.

Cutter Dykstra, yes-Lenny's son, switched off of 2B to CF at his California HS, but has fine skills at the plate and speed to burn. Can he play 2B in the pros? That question will determine where he'll go, as his skills in CF are not as projectable as they are at 2B. At 2B he's a R3-R4, in CF he'll go perhaps later. I love this kid and would be happy to get him in R4.

Archived