What are the chances that right field is some combination of Rickard, Tavarez and/or Dariel Alvarez?

wildcard

Seems to be getting better with every passing day.

A lot depends on Rickard's thumb.   If he is healthy and shows well in ST he could be the O's right field and leadoff man. Dariel Alvarez is not a leadoff man but he has that arm and could be a factor.   Tavarez is an unknown but could add a left-handed batter to a mostly right-handed lineup.  

At some point the O's will weigh going young and cheap vs the flawed players on the free agent market and the cost of players traded.

I'd call the chances "fair".  Most of the options left in a buyer's market are DH types, some of which might play LF.  Options at RF are getting slim.

The Orioles very well may sign a Chris Carter/Pedro Alvarez/Brandon Moss, let the new guy or Kim play LF, whichever is better -- and cobble together a RF.

Since Aneury is Rule 5 I think he stands the strongest chance of making the team. That does not mean he will play every day. 

Rickard seems ideal as a platoon partner with Kim in LF. I doubt he makes it as every day RF. Also he still has options so it is also possible he can start in Norfolk and be a next man up. 

I believe Dariel Alvarez also has options so he would have to perform to make the club. 

I see us bringing in a new RF, but one or two of these guys still make the club in bench/platoon roles.

The payroll in currently at 156m.  If the sign Trumbo by paying him 13m in 2017, I think 10m will be paid this coming season and 3m will be deferred.  That puts the payroll at 166m.  

I don't see it going much higher.   That is why I think we may we Rickard and Tarevez sharing right field and leading off.   If Trumbo does sign with the O's then Mancini could be on the block in exchange for a young, cheap right fielder. 

I just don't see the O's spending a bunch of money on a rightfielder.

Mancini will be in his first year of "Options".  If they go with a rule 5 player in RF and one of Pedro Alvarez/Trumbo as DH then why would you trade a player that may fit in RF at Norfolk for 1/2 a season as insurance against returning the rule 5 player or injury?  I know that Mancini has nothing to prove with the bat but he also has no place with his glove except back up for Davis or DH.  He is cost controlled through the 2022 season.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Seems to be getting better with every passing day.

A lot depends on Rickard's thumb.   If he is healthy and shows well in ST he could be the O's right field and leadoff man. Dariel Alvarez is not a leadoff man but he has that arm and could be a factor.   Tavarez is an unknown but could add a left-handed batter to a mostly right-handed lineup.  

At some point the O's will weigh going young and cheap vs the flawed players on the free agent market and the cost of players traded.

Not to me it doesn't. Last I heard, there was a big push for Alvarez to learn to pitch. ANd Who knows what Joey might be coming back from tendon injury. 

1 minute ago, health55 said:

Trade one year of left-hander Wade Miley at $9.25 million (with an option for a second year) for one year of Seattle outfielder Seth Smith at $7 million.

Problem solved (except for the Orioles' lead-off hitter).

So you want to trade Miley back to the Mariners?

Archived