What to do about Adam Jones pending free agency

birdcrazy

After 2018, Jones is a Free Agent. His current contract is one of the biggest steals in recent history at 14M average value. You have to imagine it will take Davis of greater money to keep him. Matter of fact, I would be surprised if Davis's contract does not bother him on a personal level as he has played like a 20M player most of his current contract.  On one hand he is the face of the team and has been very consistent.. On the other he is a bit "outspoken"..and has said some things I personally feel are a bit much over the years. I am talking like the "my favorite place in Baltimore is the Airport" stuff. Also, he will be 34 as a free agent, and the last year or two, has started to show some health issues. I am not sure he will want to go through another rebuild either.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tag him and take the pick.

Assuming of course his level of play still warrants a QO.

This. I base that totally on baseball as I enjoy Adam Jones and his personality. His skills are declining and his body appears to be too.

There is no shot he gets anything like Davis money at the age he will be hitting free agency.

After 2018, Jones is a Free Agent. His current contract is one of the biggest steals in recent history at 14M average value. You have to imagine it will take Davis of greater money to keep him. Matter of fact, I would be surprised if Davis's contract does not bother him on a personal level as he has played like a 20M player most of his current contract.  On one hand he is the face of the team and has been very consistent.. On the other he is a bit "outspoken"..and has said some things I personally feel are a bit much over the years. I am talking like the "my favorite place in Baltimore is the Airport" stuff. Also, he will be 34 as a free agent, and the last year or two, has started to show some health issues. I am not sure he will want to go through another rebuild either.

Dude, let it go. I had completely forgot about that.

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Tag him and take the pick.

Assuming of course his level of play still warrants a QO.

Works for me. Or a friendly pillow deal.

Next off season is the right time to make a decision on  Jones.   If he has a normal Jones year they should offer him a three year contract.   He is not going to get a Davis type contract.  He will be 33. Not 29.  And he doesn't hit 40 homers and drive in 100 RBI.

Jones is not jealous of Davis.  It was Jones would went to Angelos and requested that Davis be signed.   He knew that Davis was going to command big money.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure, there is a price point where I would be willing to retain Jones.

There are reasons to want to keep him that go beyond what he's done on the field.    Markakis and Wieters were fan favorites and did a lot of good things in the community, but Jones is at a whole other level.    I think he'll get extended at a price that is more than he's worth on a future production basis, but which recognizes his past contributions on and off the field.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There are reasons to want to keep him that go beyond what he's done on the field.    Markakis and Wieters were fan favorites and did a lot of good things in the community, but Jones is at a whole other level.    I think he'll get extended at a price that is more than he's worth on a future production basis, but which recognizes his past contributions on and off the field.

He's the captain. The heart of this team.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And that will be silly. He will have already been compensated for those past contributions.

14 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

And that will be silly. He will have already been compensated for those past contributions.

In business, long-time employees who have contributed a lot in the past sometimes get paid more than their current contributions are worth.    Might be silly in your view, but it builds morale and loyalty if done with the right balance. 

The right thing to do is draft young guys that can play center field. AJ is already beginning to decline and is no longer a bargain. I would love for AJ to play out his career in Baltimore, but eventually he will need to move to RF and take a team friendly deal. He may be looking to cash in one last time and I can understand if he wants to go to the highest bidder after playing at a bargain rate the last couple years. But JJ's extension could be a model for AJ.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The right thing to do is draft young guys that can play center field. AJ is already beginning to decline and is no longer a bargain. I would love for AJ to play out his career in Baltimore, but eventually he will need to move to RF and take a team friendly deal. He may be looking to cash in one last time and I can understand if he wants to go to the highest bidder after playing at a bargain rate the last couple years. But JJ's extension could be a model for AJ.

That would work!

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In business, long-time employees who have contributed a lot in the past sometimes get paid more than their current contributions are worth.    Might be silly in your view, but it builds morale and loyalty if done with the right balance. 

Maybe in traditional business, but there are no long term employees on baseball teams, only short term commodities of varying values.

He could move to the corner unless the O's have those positions filled by 2018. I doubt he'll be a strength in CF at 34 years old. He could sign a one year deal or something but I doubt he'll get a 3 year contract. Jones isnt really as pertinent as Manny or Britton for 2018.  

Archived