Don't count out Rickard and Tavarez

wildcard

If we look at the contracts it easy to say that the majority of the playing time in the O's outfield this year will go to Kim, Jones and Smith.   However, if the O's want the best defensive outfield its probably Tavarez/Jones/ Rickard or maybe Rickard/Jones/Tavarez.   I agree that the two young players will have to not only out play Kim and Smith in the outfield but also out hit them in ST by a good margin.

However, I think it will be an interesting spring to see who does well and what it will means to who gets the playing time in right and left field once the season begins.   I am not talking trading veteran here.  I am just thinking about who sees time in the field and who is spending time on the bench.

After all, Rickard, Tavarez, Mancini and Sisco all have  put up good OBP numbers in the minors at one time or another.  Sisco needs more time to work on his defense but  the other three have a shot to make a statement this spring.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know they selected either guy. Should have taken a flyer on a pitcher, if anything.

We waste more like playing cutsie with the Rule 5 with little reward, waste in resource and in focus. Imagine if that safe effort was spent on the International market these past years.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

I don't know they selected either guy. Should have taken a flyer on a pitcher, if anything.

We waste more like playing cutsie with the Rule 5 with little reward, waste in resource and in focus. Imagine if that safe effort was spent on the International market these past years.

Santander was the best hitter in the Sally league last year.  Who knows about Tavarez.

Just now, theobird said:

I did not know that. In any event, he has to be on the roster for a certain amount of time to retain him in the organization.

Not sure they could do it, but they could rehab him for a while and maybe do September this year and April May next year?

Archived