State of the Orioles Outfield, before and after acquiring Seth Smith

FanSince88

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why we are looking at LHH outfielders at this point. The way I see it, we have Kim, Jones and Smith left to right and that gives us two platoon players. I get wanting a full-time OF and thus a guy like Granderson makes sense despite being a lefty because he would presumably play against RHP and LHP (same for Pagan though he's a switch hitter). 

Because of that, I would go for at least two players and I think there are a number of options as the vacancies extend into the DH spot (unless you're comfortable with Mancini as the everyday option). I'd go with one of the below options: 
1. Trade for Granderson (giving up Brach or less). I this case Granderson is the everyday RF, Smith and Kim are the LHH LF and DH while Mancini and Rickard are the in house options in both platoons. I would then prefer signing one (or both of) Franklin Gutierrez and/or Ryan Raburn. If you get both, Rickard and Mancini start in Norfolk, giving you much more depth which is a very good thing.

2. Sign Mike Napoli to DH (he gives you more P/PA and a better OBP than the other DH options). This pushes Mancini to Triple-A and gives you the same platoon issues in LF and RF with Kim and Smith. You then add one (or two of) Gutierrez, Raburn, Jennings...

3. Sign Angel Pagan to play LF. This slides Kim to LHH DH and Smith is LHH RF. You then sign Gutierrez to platoon with Smith and either use Mancini to platoon with Kim or add someone like Raburn. 

21 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Gutierrez vs LHP

Career - .289/.351/.495, 846 OPS

2016 - .280/.373/.511, 884 OPS

I like Gutierrez as a RH platoon OF, but I'm not sure there is room for three platoons on the roster.  Also, the guy can't seem to stay healthy.  

36 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I like Gutierrez as a RH platoon OF, but I'm not sure there is room for three platoons on the roster.  Also, the guy can't seem to stay healthy.  

What would the third platoon be?  The Orioles haven't signed a third platoon lefty yet, we just have Smith and Kim and the DH right now is Mancini / vacant.

16 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

His defense seems to have taken a hit the past few years.

Ironically, if the Orioles sign Gutierrez they'll be pairing him with Smith again.  Seattle got rid of that platoon in favor of better defense.

Camden Yards however has less ground to cover in the OF and they are better than Trumbo or Kim.

42 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

What would the third platoon be?  The Orioles haven't signed a third platoon lefty yet, we just have Smith and Kim and the DH right now is Mancini / vacant.

I'm just assuming Mancini will need a platoon partner, but they could certainly give him the opportunity to be the everyday DH. 

My guess is our next move is going to be for an everyday player, whether that is a pure OF or a DH like Trumbo or Moss who we can stick in RF against LHP. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, pretty surprising that a guy who was +33 UZR a few years ago is -9 now.    But in RF he still should be pretty solid.  

He has ankylosing spondylitis a disease of the spine that causes vertebrae to fuse. http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/grateful-franklin-gutierrez-tries-to-hang-onto-game-he-loves/

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

His defense seems to have taken a hit the past few years.

Being able to reliably rake against LHP may offset that.  I would like to have at least one strong defensive outfielder on our roster, and I don't think we have that yet.  But then again, outside of Desmond Jennings, I don't think there are really any strong defensive outfielders left on the FA market now that Rasmus is gone.  

Archived