State of the Orioles Outfield, before and after acquiring Seth Smith

FanSince88

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Being able to reliably rake against LHP may offset that.  I would like to have at least one strong defensive outfielder on our roster, and I don't think we have that yet.  But then again, outside of Desmond Jennings, I don't think there are really any strong defensive outfielders left on the FA market now that Rasmus is gone.  

Look at his numbers the past few season. Pagan and Moss are better defensively now.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Look at his numbers the past few season. Pagan and Moss are better defensively now.

There must be something wrong with Pagan, other than age.  Why is he still available?  You'd think a player with his credentials would be a fairly high commodity.  Ever watch his highlight reels on YouTube?  Very impressive.  

10 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

There must be something wrong with Pagan, other than age.  Why is he still available?  You'd think a player with his credentials would be a fairly high commodity.  Ever watch his highlight reels on YouTube?  Very impressive.  

He's 35 and a year removed from a .635 season.  Maybe he's holding out for a two year deal.  I'm not sure what his market is exactly.  1/7, 1/8?  Maybe 2/12?

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He's 35 and a year removed from a .635 season.  Maybe he's holding out for a two year deal.  I'm not sure what his market is exactly.  1/7, 1/8?  Maybe 2/12?

I think that's even high for the value. 

10 hours ago, ELMERO said:

Why must it be something other than age?  That seems like a pretty important factor, doesn't it?

On 1/9/2017 at 10:28 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

These guys are still out there in FA;

Dustin Ackley    1B / RF                        
Jose Bautista    DH / RF        Yes (Declined)                
Gregor Blanco    CF / LF / RF                        
Peter Bourjos    CF / LF / RF                        
Michael Bourn    CF / LF                        
Nick Buss    CF / LF / RF                        
Marlon Byrd    LF / RF                        
Chris Coghlan    LF / RF / 2B / 3B                        
Coco Crisp    CF / DH / LF                        
Alejandro de Aza    CF / LF / RF                        
Jeff Francoeur    RF                        
Sam Fuld    CF / LF / RF                        
Craig Gentry    CF / LF / RF                        
Cole Gillespie    CF / LF / RF                        
Jonny Gomes    DH / LF                        
Grant Green    LF / 2B / 3B                        
Franklin Gutierrez    DH / RF                        
Austin Jackson    CF                        
Desmond Jennings    CF / LF                        
Kelly Johnson    LF / 2B / 3B                        
Tyler Ladendorf    CF / 2B / SS / 3B                        
David Lough    CF / LF / RF                        
Brandon Moss    1B / LF / RF                        
Angel Pagan    LF                        
Gregorio Petit    LF / 2B / SS / 3B                        
Ryan Raburn    LF / RF                        
Nolan Reimold    CF / LF / RF                        
Michael Saunders    LF / RF                        
Drew Stubbs    CF / LF / RF                        
Mark Trumbo    DH / 1B / LF / RF

Plus guys that appear to be on the trade block like Granderson, Bruce and Melky Cabrera.  There are options.  

Is it normal for there to be so many available players at a position this late in the off-season?

I really hope that either Smith or Kim is pencilled in as primarily a DH.  Corner outfield defense was a major problem for the O's in 2016, and having Smith instead of Trumbo as the regular right fielder would do nothing to improve the situation.

The corollary is that the O's have no reason to sign either Alvarez or Trumbo.  Signing either would lock this team into having bad outfield defense.  Number one priority needs to be signing or trading for someone who can contribute on offense and can play a decent right field.  Angel Pagan and Curtis Granderson fit the bill.  Maybe Desmond Jennings.  

Archived