Rule 5 Guys

ELMERO

Keep in mind that Santander had right shoulder surgery this offseason, so the O's will likely stash him on the 60-day DL to start the year to buy themselves some time.

As for Tavarez, I think it's going to be tough for him to crack the roster, barring injuries. It would help if he were a right-handed hitter who could spell Kim/Smith against lefties, but he isn't.

Agree with Paul, I think Tavarez's chances went down significantly when we got Smith. Santander doesn't have a great chance of seeing ML action this year. They may try to swing a trade for his rights while they have him stashed on the DL. 

Seems to me a lot depends on what happens in ST.  If Rickard has a poor spring, and Tavarez has the kind of spring Rickard had a year ago, Tavarez could take a bench spot and push Rickard to the minors since he can be optioned.  But I agree with Paul, that would be a lot more likely if he was a RH hitter.  But I think the chance is there to play himself onto the team.

If the Orioles can find a way to keep them, they will. There's nothing they like more than a (virtually) free player. But as esmd pointed out, it will depend on how Tavarez looks in the spring. Truthfully, Rickard probably could use some more time in Triple A, so I won't be surprised if they option him unless he has a big spring. I still look for them to add another outfielder, so Tavarez may stick as a 5th and they'll deal with Santander when they have to.

16 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

For some reason they don't like Kim, I could see him being traded if there is roster crunch.  It's on Tavarez to endear himself to Buck though.

They love Kim. He just has limited value at his salary. 

20 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

If Tavarez is the best defensive OF'er  I think he'll get a roster spot.

If he isn't clearly better defensively than Rickard he won't get a roster spot

If Tavarez earns a roster spot, then they'll have to be willing to give either Kim or Smith a lot of ABs against lefties.  I don't see any way around it.

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Seems to me a lot depends on what happens in ST.  If Rickard has a poor spring, and Tavarez has the kind of spring Rickard had a year ago, Tavarez could take a bench spot and push Rickard to the minors since he can be optioned.  But I agree with Paul, that would be a lot more likely if he was a RH hitter.  But I think the chance is there to play himself onto the team.

Will reserve judgment til I see the Tucker / Tavarez Royal Farms commercial.

Archived