Roch: Tillman negotiating an extension.

bpilktree

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

What's your source?

Maybe this is what he was referencing?  

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4678/chris-tillman

Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun writes that "all signs point" to Chris Tillman testing out free agency next offseason.
The Orioles began preliminary contract extension talks with Tillman last month, but evidently they didn't get far. Encina notes that Tillman, who turns 29 in April, will likely want at least a four-year deal and the O's have only given one four-year contract to a pitcher in their history (and that was to Ubaldo Jimenez, which hasn't really worked out). Tillman is projected by MLB Trade Rumors to make $10.6 million in his final year of arbitration eligibility

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I surely hope he doesn't leave.

The man has posted a posted WAR in every season here, even his down year.

Twice in the last 4 years, he has posted a 4.0+ WAR.

He is a solid and dependable starter and they don't grow on trees.

Sorry, I can see my post came across somewhat harsh and anti-Tillman. He is a good pitcher and has contributed a lot. But I am also not surprised, and I think the Orioles should try to get something back if possible. 

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Sorry, I can see my post came across somewhat harsh and anti-Tillman. He is a good pitcher and has contributed a lot. But I am also not surprised, and I think the Orioles should try to get something back if possible. 

Personally, I hope they keep him, exicted to think about the prtential rotation of Tilly, Gausman and Bundy should be fun to watch.

Too many Ubaldo, Gallardos and Norrises out there in the pitching world.

Not much in the way of in-house replacements.

56 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, I hope they keep him, exicted to think about the prtential rotation of Tilly, Gausman and Bundy should be fun to watch.

Too many Ubaldo, Gallardos and Norrises out there in the pitching world.

Not much in the way of in-house replacements.

Sedlock and Harvey!!!

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles waiting this long killed the Orioles' chance at a fair salary for Tillman.

I think other teams have shown that if you want to sign home grown talent long term you best act in the per-arbitration years.

Hoping KG gets that treatment very soon... 

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

That said, I think the O's should be putting their best foot forward here.    Replacing at least two starting pitchers next winter is going to be very tough.    We don't appear to have anyone who will be ready to step up in 2018, so we're going to end up paying FA prices to someone; why not our own guy and a guy who, as the article points out, is a leader on our staff?

Projected FA starting pitchers after 2017 include:

• Henderson Alvarez
  • Jake Arrieta
  • Brandon Beachy
  • Clay Buchholz
  • Matt Cain (team option probably declined)
  • Jhoulys Chacin
  • Tyler Chatwood
  • Wei-Yin Chen (player option)
  • Alex Cobb
  • Barolo Colon (again)
  • John Danks
  • Yu Darvish
  • Felix Doubront
  • Danny Duffy
  • Marco Estrada
  • Jaime Garcia
  • Matt Garza
  • Gio Gonzalez (vesting option)
  • Jeremy Hellickson
  • Derek Holland
  • Ubaldo Jimenez (from us)
  • John Lackey
  • Josh Lindblom
  • Francisco Liriano
  • Lance Lynn
  • Wade Miley (from us - option)
  • Hector Noesi
  • Ricky Nolasko (team option maybe declined)
  • Mike Pelfrey
  • Michael Pineda
  • Clayton Richard
  • Tyson Ross (just signed a 1 yr deal)
  • CC Sabathia
  • Anibal Sanchez (team option probably declined)
  • Hector Santiago
  • Jason Vargas

...plus guys who haven't signed yet this offseason that might get 1 yr deals.  Then there are those with opt-out clauses -- the only starting pitcher I can remember off the top of my head is Masahiro Tanaka.

How many of these guys are projected to be better than, or even equal to Tillman?

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Glad to hear there are extension talks. There would be some risk in a Tillman extension, but if we intend to remain a good team then I think there is a greater risk in letting Tillman walk and trying to replace him some other way. 

I think there is something to be said with preferring guys who have been successful in your organization to equally successful guys from outside whose transition is uncertain.

12 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Tillman is a good guy who seems to like it here and I think would prefer to stay here. Something like 12-13 per for 3-4 years probably works for both sides.

When Rich Hill gets 3/48 and Mike Leake gets 5/80, Tillman shouldn't settle for 3/36-4/52.

Archived