Roch: Tillman negotiating an extension.

bpilktree

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Probably not now.  If I'm Tillman's agent, I take him to FA and have teams bid him up.  He already has 20M+ in career earnings.  He can gamble on his health.

So gambling that you get say $70m guaranteed now is worth a shot at $90m when you had some health issues this past season? I think I take the guarantee. Bit that's just me. Tillman seems like a laid back guy. I think he wants to stay where he's comfortable and I think he'd take a little less to stay here. If he wasn't willing, they wouldn't bother starting negotiations at this point.

15 hours ago, backwardsk said:

When Rich Hill gets 3/48 and Mike Leake gets 5/80, Tillman shouldn't settle for 3/36-4/52.

I love reading these completely delusional threads. It is freaking hilarious. I just sat here through 4 pages laughing at most of these posts. (except yours, that was completely glossed over obv)

When people around here are advocating paying Tillman what Ubaldo got, you know they have lost their collective minds. You have senior citizens getting 16m a year, and a Tillman still in his prime isn't worth that? It is comical.

But again it goes back to them subconsciously knowing there is a ZERO percent shot we pay him, so they have to set up his departure by making insane valuations that have no basis in reality, to make themselves feel better when he leaves. They know it deep down inside. They will say "LOOK AT HOW OVERPAID HE IS! GLAD IT WASN'T US!" while we shuffle the chairs digging in the dumpster for our next TOR. (really easy to find good SP so NBD that shouldn't be hard at all)

Oh and BTW Connolly was on radio yesterday, and repeated what Encina said. Talks started....and ended real fast. Why? Because Tillman wants market value, and the O's aren't going to pay it. Or make an offer that even comes close. That is how that conversation ends so fast. 

There are no "talks". He won't be extended. The end. 

But I am sure another team will get a good pitcher at "12-13m for 3 years" in a deal that will work for both sides. In some reality that exists in a galaxy far far away. 

54 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

I love reading these completely delusional threads. It is freaking hilarious. I just sat here through 4 pages laughing at most of these posts. (except yours, that was completely glossed over obv)

When people around here are advocating paying Tillman what Ubaldo got, you know they have lost their collective minds. You have senior citizens getting 16m a year, and a Tillman still in his prime isn't worth that? It is comical.

But again it goes back to them subconsciously knowing there is a ZERO percent shot we pay him, so they have to set up his departure by making insane valuations that have no basis in reality, to make themselves feel better when he leaves. They know it deep down inside. They will say "LOOK AT HOW OVERPAID HE IS! GLAD IT WASN'T US!" while we shuffle the chairs digging in the dumpster for our next TOR. (really easy to find good SP so NBD that shouldn't be hard at all)

Oh and BTW Connolly was on radio yesterday, and repeated what Encina said. Talks started....and ended real fast. Why? Because Tillman wants market value, and the O's aren't going to pay it. Or make an offer that even comes close. That is how that conversation ends so fast. 

But I am sure another team will get a good pitcher at "12-13m for 3 years" in a deal that will work for both sides. In some reality that exists in a galaxy far far away. 

In all fairness, Corey Kluber signed a 5/38 extension in 2015 after winning a Cy Young. Leake was a FA. Dollar amounts usually vary between FA and extensions. Usually the two sides give and take a little more than players that are FA.

21 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

In all fairness, Corey Kluber signed a 5/38 extension in 2015 after winning a Cy Young. Leake was a FA. Dollar amounts usually vary between FA and extensions. Usually the two sides give and take a little more than players that are FA.

Kluber was four years from free agency when he signed that.   Totally different risk/reward ratio than negotiating a year before free agency.   

22 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Corey Kluber had 3 years of team control left and had almost zero track record outside of that year. Pretty easy to see why he signed that deal. There is nothing even remotely similar about the two players or situations.

1 hour ago, TradeAngelos said:

I love reading these completely delusional threads.

You mean like the ones where its posted over and over that we shouldnt sign Trumbo to any contract?  Or shouldnt even do it for market value?  And instead sign some journeyman player that plays a lil better defense?  As if the team couldnt do both?

Or the woe is us for signing Chris Davis?

Or Manny will NEVER ever stay an Oriole?

Or DD is horrible?

Or the ones that always over value our trade bait guys and under value players on all the other teams?

Or the ones that bashed Buck & DD over the Kim saga last spring and early season, yet now we read Kim should only be a platoon player?

10 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

You mean like the ones where its posted over and over that we shouldnt sign Trumbo to any contract?  Or shouldnt even do it for market value?  And instead sign some journeyman player that plays a lil better defense?  As if the team couldnt do both?

Or the woe is us for signing Chris Davis?

Or Manny will NEVER ever stay an Oriole?

Or DD is horrible?

Or the ones that always over value our trade bait guys and under value players on all the other teams?

Or the ones that bashed Buck & DD over the Kim saga last spring and early season, yet now we read Kim should only be a platoon player?

Yeah!

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

That little bout of shoulder tendinitis from last August might cause him to think twice about that gamble.   

The fact that Tillman showed up at all three days of the minicamp, even though he wasn't asked to come, tells me he wants to be an Oriole.   

Big time!

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

That little bout of shoulder tendinitis from last August might cause him to think twice about that gamble.   

The fact that Tillman showed up at all three days of the minicamp, even though he wasn't asked to come, tells me he wants to be an Oriole.   

It tells me he lives down the street and some friends of his were in town.

I'm pretty sure he enjoys playing for the O's but I don't think he enjoys it enough to leave millions on the table.

3 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

You or Connolly or Roch or Britt don't have a clue how the negotiations might be going. Did anyone here expect to see Seth Smith here? Totally out of left (right) field. DD works in mysterious ways.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It tells me he lives down the street and some friends of his were in town.

I'm pretty sure he enjoys playing for the O's but I don't think he enjoys it enough to leave millions on the table.

It's not as simple an equation as you make it out to be.    There's risk of injury over the next season.  There's risk of poor performance that hurts his value.   There's risk that he won't like his new team and living situation as much as he likes it in Baltimore.   You make it sound completely irrational to extend, and yet it happens quite frequently.    I guess not everybody is as risk tolerant and indifferent to the personal side of their lives as you are.  

And sure, Tillman lives down the street from the minicamp.   That's a reason to stop by.   But stopping  by three days in a row is a bit different.   I'm not saying it means he'll re-up with the team.    It's just  a sign that he's a pretty loyal, team-oriented guy and that factor may weigh more heavily with him that it does for someone who is indifferent about his team.   

Archived