Brady would like to see Mancini get steady at bats this season

wildcard

1 hour ago, esmd said:

If he trades Mancini for Granderson he should be fired on the spot.

Alderson? That seems harsh but he should probably get better than Mancini.

If you mean Duquette, you must be higher on Mancini than basically anyone, anywhere. He's not well thought of outside of Baltimore. Even OH's own prospect rankings have him outside of the top 10 in a very weak Orioles farm. People are talking about Brach for Granderson. Brach has quite a bit more trade value than Mancini, who won't get you back much of anything of value on his own.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Buck thinks spring training is a bad time to evaluate a player.  

No, Buck cautions to not put too much weight on performance in STand September.  However, Mancini as years of playing time to evaluate in the minors.  

Besides if other teams like what they see in ST and are willing be trade a young outfielder with value,  I don't think Buck would tell them not be base their evaluation on ST.  That is their business.

3 hours ago, weams said:

He had limited range when I saw him in AA. Made essential plays. 

The easy thing for all of us to do is to compare him to Davis and hope he could change defensively like that at 1B.  However, Davis is a freak athlete, so he always had that going for him.  

My expectations for Mancini in 2017 would be to make the most of his ST time.  Improve defensively.  Put up better AAA numbers.  Mash LHP when we need him.  Asking him or counting on him to do more, is looking like a huge gamble.

It's a long season, he will get his AB's.  Personally I'd feel more comfortable going into the year with at least Carter or Alvarez as the full time DH.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The easy thing for all of us to do is to compare him to Davis and hope he could change defensively like that at 1B.  However, Davis is a freak athlete, so he always had that going for him.  

My expectations for Mancini in 2017 would be to make the most of his ST time.  Improve defensively.  Put up better AAA numbers.  Mash LHP when we need him.  Asking him or counting on him to do more, is looking like a huge gamble.

It's a long season, he will get his AB's.  Personally I'd feel more comfortable going into the year with at least Carter or Alvarez as the full time DH.  

In no way defensively is Mancini a Chris Davis at any position other than DH. 

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

DH vs. LHP.

This would be unfortunate and would not give any true sense as to whether he can be more than this, which I believe he can be.   Trade him if they sign Trumbo rather than make him only have limited at bats as a less than parttime DH. . I hope this is not what happens.  I also think he played a much better first base at Norfolk than the year before.  At least, Ron Johnson said he did...

“I have been surprised how good of a defensive first baseman he is, that was not one of his major strengths coming into the season,” Johnson said. “I’m really pleased with that because with the Baltimore, if you listen to Buck Showalter, they’re looking for defense, they’re looking for home runs, too, but if you can’t play defense you usually can’t play for Buck.”

Archived