Is Mark Trumbo Still Orioles' Most Logical Move In Right Field?

PressBoxOnline

I wish we could afford Granderson. He hits better against right-handers, but the gap is not so severe that he would have to be benched vs. lefties (unlike Smith and maybe Kim). He has homer power from both sides and he's not the liability in RF that Trumbo would be. If Buck liked Bourn he'll love Granderson.

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

I wish we could afford Granderson. He hits better against right-handers, but the gap is not so severe that he would have to be benched vs. lefties (unlike Smith and maybe Kim). He has homer power from both sides and he's not the liability in RF that Trumbo would be. If Buck liked Bourn he'll love Granderson.

That's where the Brach for Granderson rumors come from.  There were talks, but the Mets prefer to unload Bruce and the Orioles probably asked the Mets to eat some of Grandy's contract.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

That's where the Brach for Granderson rumors come from.  There were talks, but the Mets prefer to unload Bruce and the Orioles probably asked the Mets to eat some of Grandy's contract.

Then they should eat it! (I meant that in a nice way.)

It's pretty much down to Trumbo, Moss, or Pagan of the FA options.  We need someone who can play the OF on at least a PT basis and Alvarez and Carter don't fit that description. 

Granderson is a long shot considering the Mets want to move Bruce.  They will likely find a taker for him when their asking price comes down and that will allow them to hold onto Granderson. 

There may be some other trade options out there, but I'm not sure who they are.  There was no talk about Smith before he was acquired, so we could see a move for someone else that is not on the radar.  

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's pretty much down to Trumbo, Moss, or Pagan of the FA options.  We need someone who can play the OF on at least a PT basis and Alvarez and Carter don't fit that description. 

Granderson is a long shot considering the Mets want to move Bruce.  They will likely find a taker for him when their asking price comes down and that will allow them to hold onto Granderson. 

There may be some other trade options out there, but I'm not sure who they are.  There was no talk about Smith before he was acquired, so we could see a move for someone else that is not on the radar.  

I agree with everything you've said here, with the exception of a Granderson trade being a long shot.  Yes, they'd rather trade Bruce, and, yes, they'd take less for him, but they aren't likely to just give him away.  The fact that there is at least one team that Granderson is a fit for, and that it is likely that they can not only receive a better piece in return for Granderson than Bruce, but also likely to have to eat less of Granderson's contract than they would Bruce's, combine to make trading Granderson a distinct possibility for the Mets, IMO.

In a perfect world, I would like to see the Orioles add two more players. I think we're dealing with two platoon players now with Kim and Smith and while Rickard could conceivably be half of one platoon, I don't know if I fully trust him given his tumble after a red hot April.

I would love to have more depth and be able to bring up Rickard or Mancini from Triple-A when an injury happens.

If I had my way, I'd look to bring in Pagan (or trade for Granderson, though the longer things go, the less likely I see the Mets as willing to move him). Pagan (or Grandy) would give the team a lead-off option to play one of the corners pretty much everyday.

That then leaves Kim and Smith to take over at DH and the other corner. They both still need platoon bats. You can have Mancini platoon at DH...OR, you can have Rickard platoon in the OF. I'd then look to add another bat with a Ryan Raburn, Franklin Gutierrez or Desmond Jennings to take the other ABs against LHP in the DH or OF role, depending on which of Mancini or Rickard gets first crack in the majors. 

Alternatively, I could get behind bringing back Mark Trumbo...or bringing in Mike Napoli or Chris Carter. I think my preference is Napoli for the OBP and P/PA. In any case, whoever is signed becomes the DH full time. That then leaves Kim and Smith in the corners and you have Rickard to platoon with one of them. You then still need another OF bat to serve as the other platoon, bringing us back to Franklin Gutierrez or Desmond Jennings.

20 hours ago, esmd said:

No.  You don't want Trumbo in RF.  They're better off taking the pick and signing a decent defensive RFer and letting Trumbo go somewhere (Texas?) where he can either be a 1B or DH.

I agree, but since DD is only signed through 2018 and did not care about draft picks last year, I don't know why he would now.

4 hours ago, jamalshw said:

In a perfect world, I would like to see the Orioles add two more players. I think we're dealing with two platoon players now with Kim and Smith and while Rickard could conceivably be half of one platoon, I don't know if I fully trust him given his tumble after a red hot April.

I would love to have more depth and be able to bring up Rickard or Mancini from Triple-A when an injury happens.

If I had my way, I'd look to bring in Pagan (or trade for Granderson, though the longer things go, the less likely I see the Mets as willing to move him). Pagan (or Grandy) would give the team a lead-off option to play one of the corners pretty much everyday.

That then leaves Kim and Smith to take over at DH and the other corner. They both still need platoon bats. You can have Mancini platoon at DH...OR, you can have Rickard platoon in the OF. I'd then look to add another bat with a Ryan Raburn, Franklin Gutierrez or Desmond Jennings to take the other ABs against LHP in the DH or OF role, depending on which of Mancini or Rickard gets first crack in the majors. 

Alternatively, I could get behind bringing back Mark Trumbo...or bringing in Mike Napoli or Chris Carter. I think my preference is Napoli for the OBP and P/PA. In any case, whoever is signed becomes the DH full time. That then leaves Kim and Smith in the corners and you have Rickard to platoon with one of them. You then still need another OF bat to serve as the other platoon, bringing us back to Franklin Gutierrez or Desmond Jennings.

I agree with you on the depth part.  It would just be a matter of who would take a milb deal with us.  If a player is trying to have a bounce back year, then we aren't a good fit for most.  We don't use our bench that much.  Norfolk is one of the toughest AAA parks to hit in.  Not a big selling point.  Here's who is left,

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017-mlb-free-agent-tracker/positions-of__status-0

The more and more we kick this around, the more and more I favor signing Pagan and putting him in LF batting leadoff with Smith playing RF and hitting 2nd.  Mancini DHs and Kim floats between DH and the corner OF spots.  Mancini can also give Davis relief every now and then via a day off, or allowing Davis to DH every so often.

Archived