Orioles smarter than Yanks

pastorfan

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

This. Obviously if you intend to use Trumbo in the outfield at all, he's more valuable than Carter. Which apparently is what the Orioles are prepared to do. I myself would not want Trumbo in the outfield ever, and therefore see no difference in actual value between him and Carter. So give me the money, the pick, the two years, and Carter.

I am starting to wonder if the O's would have received a pick.  I was sure of it earlier in the offseason but now I think it is possible he might have had to wait if the O's hadn't signed him.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Question - Do you think other owners who might hire Duquette are going to be ignorant of the fact that he's stripped the Orioles franchise of young talent?     Do you think they'll just look at his W-L in Baltimore and disregard everything else?    This is not a rhetorical question -- maybe that's exactly what they'd do.

I think ownership is on board with what is happening.  They might very well be directing him to work in this direction.

If he's doing what ownership wants, and is successful at it, I don't see where it hurts his market value.

4 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Look, everyone dumps on the DD for waiting until the last minute to sign guys.  I think we should give him credit for signing Trumbo before February at a reasonable deal.  Sure, in hindsight it might look bad if Carter has a monster year.  But that doesn't mean the Trumbo deal was bad.  I don't think it was a great deal, but it wasn't a bad one, either.  We're not overpaying for him, and there's deferred money.  The deal is reasonable enough that we should be able to find a suitor for a Trumbo salary dump in a year or two if need be, unless he's completely awful at the plate.  Which I don't expect in OPACY.  

I didn't know that. How much?

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Question - Do you think other owners who might hire Duquette are going to be ignorant of the fact that he's stripped the Orioles franchise of young talent?     Do you think they'll just look at his W-L in Baltimore and disregard everything else?    This is not a rhetorical question -- maybe that's exactly what they'd do.

I think this is DD last gig as a general manager

He has set himself up well for a position in the players union, as he has given gobs of money to bad/mediocre players and propped up an otherwise collapsing free agent market

3 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Just checked Cot's.

$1.5M annually deferred, paid each 11/1, 2020-22

limited no-trade protection: Trumbo may block deals to seven clubs annually

Why would you have to give limited no trade protection to seal a deal with a player like Trumbo?  Was that going to be a deal breaker?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would you have to give limited no trade protection to seal a deal with a player like Trumbo?  Was that going to be a deal breaker?

I don't know. It's not the best deal. I don't think it's bad tho. You said before that Trumbo said he'd take less to stay here. I'm sure he didn't tell DD that at the time.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think this is DD last gig as a general manager

He has set himself up well for a position in the players union, as he has given gobs of money to bad/mediocre players and propped up an otherwise collapsing free agent market

Not defending DD, but the Orioles farm system was shot before he got here. The players he's traded wouldn't even be that relevant in most teams systems. Losing the picks for Gallardo and Jimenez stink. But the Cruz signing was a great one. Chen was a great signing. I've never been a DD guy, but he's done some good things. Let's not pretend the lights are completely off. Hell, I was hoping he'd leave for Toronto.

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not defending DD, but the Orioles farm system was shot before he got here. The players he's traded wouldn't even be that relevant in most teams systems. Losing the picks for Gallardo and Jimenez stink. But the Cruz signing was a great one. Chen was a great signing. I've never been a DD guy, but he's done some good things. Let's not pretend the lights are completely off. Hell, I was hoping he'd leave for Toronto.

Machado, Britton, Schoop.

I'm guessing that ERod and Hader would be relevant.

How about losing a first round pick for Norris?  Selling two second round picks?

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Machado, Britton, Schoop.

I'm guessing that ERod and Hader would be relevant.

How about losing a first round pick for Norris?  Selling two second round picks?

When did DD trade Machado, Britton, or Schoop? Britton ia a failed starter that DD had some say in converting ro rhe AS closer we now have. Otherwise, Britton may have been juat another in a ling line of failed SP. So lets say Schoop and Machado. Thats not exactly loaded. Two guys. And as I said, DD didnt trade them. And I acknowledged the lost picks. 

Hader and ERod might be relevant. Of course one has to stay healthy and the other has to actually show something in the majors before they are declared horrible. And trading ERod for the best RP in the game at the time for a push at a WS is something most GM would do.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:11 PM, pastorfan said:

Come on give the O's some credit. Last year we signed Davis by winning a vicious bidding war and this year we managed to spend some 30 + plus million for a similar player. Not everyone can accomplish this.

Vicious bidding war? Peter Angelos vs Peter Angelos. Wasn't s fan of the Davis deal last year and I am still not. As for Trumbo I have mixed feelings about him coming back. 

Archived