Orioles smarter than Yanks

pastorfan

9 hours ago, pastorfan said:

But the O's just paid 35 m or so more for Trumbo. I don't know how anyone can think that is good or smart. Almost 200 m committed to Trumbo and Davis, ok fine--but if you don't resign Manny because of it then don't complain to me.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Manny signs here even if they didn't sign Davis and Trumbo. You really don't think the team thinks ahead? And if you gut the team to save up money for Manny, what makes you think Manny would even want to stay?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Manny signs here even if they didn't sign Davis and Trumbo. You really don't think the team thinks ahead? And if you gut the team to save up money for Manny, what makes you think Manny would even want to stay?

I don't think Dan cares what happens after his contract is up.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo's price was never going to 1/3m.    He is more respected than that.  It might have dropped a little more before some team picked him up but it was never going to 1/3m.   Its market driven.

There's no guarantee that he would have signed elsewhere and we'd get the pick.  He could have been like Morales.

Look, everyone dumps on the DD for waiting until the last minute to sign guys.  I think we should give him credit for signing Trumbo before February at a reasonable deal.  Sure, in hindsight it might look bad if Carter has a monster year.  But that doesn't mean the Trumbo deal was bad.  I don't think it was a great deal, but it wasn't a bad one, either.  We're not overpaying for him, and there's deferred money.  The deal is reasonable enough that we should be able to find a suitor for a Trumbo salary dump in a year or two if need be, unless he's completely awful at the plate.  Which I don't expect in OPACY.  

8 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Look, everyone dumps on the DD for waiting until the last minute to sign guys.  I think we should give him credit for signing Trumbo before February at a reasonable deal.  Sure, in hindsight it might look bad if Carter has a monster year.  But that doesn't mean the Trumbo deal was bad.  I don't think it was a great deal, but it wasn't a bad one, either.  We're not overpaying for him, and there's deferred money.  The deal is reasonable enough that we should be able to find a suitor for a Trumbo salary dump in a year or two if need be, unless he's completely awful at the plate.  Which I don't expect in OPACY.  

This is essentially my thoughts on the matter

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

He gets no credit from me for the signing when Carter was still on the market.  No reason to guarantee three years to a guy that should be a DH on the club.

9 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

You mean our stellar defensive replacement all year? That Nolan? He certainly rivaled Dyson of the Royals in this category.

Can't blame Nolan for not excelling in a role he wasn't suited for.

Just if you hear some folks talk the WC loss was 50% Nolan 50% Ubaldo.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He gets no credit from me for the signing when Carter was still on the market.  No reason to guarantee three years to a guy that should be a DH on the club.

First, You don't know what other offers Trumbo had and what he could get, and Second, if they signed Carter they would desperately need another OF even more than they do now.

Carter would have left an even bigger hole than Trumbo.

That said, it would have been great if it was only 2 years.

2 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

First, You don't know what other offers Trumbo had and what he could get, and Second, if they signed Carter they would desperately need another OF even more than they do now.

Carter would have left an even bigger hole than Trumbo.

That said, it would have been great if it was only 2 years.

Trumbo himself said:

1. He would have accepted less to play for Baltimore than another team.
  2. Not a lot of interest from other teams.

But either way with Carter on the board at 1/5 or less you can't laud Dan for signing Trumbo for 3/37.5.  You just can't, it isn't commendable.

Now maybe Dan's hands were tied by ownership...who knows?  But the best he's going to get from me on the Trumbo deal is a hearty meh.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Dan cares what happens after his contract is up.

Question - Do you think other owners who might hire Duquette are going to be ignorant of the fact that he's stripped the Orioles franchise of young talent?     Do you think they'll just look at his W-L in Baltimore and disregard everything else?    This is not a rhetorical question -- maybe that's exactly what they'd do.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trumbo himself said:

1. He would have accepted less to play for Baltimore than another team.
  2. Not a lot of interest from other teams.

But either way with Carter on the board at 1/5 or less you can't laud Dan for signing Trumbo for 3/37.5.  You just can't, it isn't commendable.

Now maybe Dan's hands were tied by ownership...who knows?  But the best he's going to get from me on the Trumbo deal is a hearty meh.

I don't see how Trumbo is worth 8M more than Carter.   Signing Carter for that deal, plus the financial flexibility it gives you just makes so much more sense.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

This. Obviously if you intend to use Trumbo in the outfield at all, he's more valuable than Carter. Which apparently is what the Orioles are prepared to do. I myself would not want Trumbo in the outfield ever, and therefore see no difference in actual value between him and Carter. So give me the money, the pick, the two years, and Carter.

Archived