Orioles smarter than Yanks

pastorfan

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Machado, Britton and Schoop were all in the farm system when Dan took over.  Those three alone kept it from being "shot".

Not sure how you couldn't figure out what I meant.  Sorry for not being clear I guess. 

You acknowledged some of the lost picks. 

Machado was the only one of the three that was considered a top prospect. Schoop and Britton may have been higher in the O's system but we're hardly locks. Like I said, until the team decided to make Britton a RP, he was on his way to being a failed SP. 

And I knew exactly what you meant. Hence my comment about Britton in the first place.

And  not sure what point your trying to make. I never said DD was a great GM. I just said he's made some really good moves also and not to pretend he hasn't.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

Machado was the only one of the three that was considered a top prospect. Schoop and Britton may have been higher in the O's system but we're hardly locks. Like I said, until the team decided to make Britton a RP, he was on his way to being a failed SP. 

And I knew exactly what you meant. Hence my comment about Britton in the first place.

And  not sure what point your trying to make. I never said DD was a great GM. I just said he's made some really good moves also and not to pretend he hasn't.

Schoop and Britton were both more highly regarded than Sisco is.

I am questioning your statement that the farm team was "shot".  Yes they had promoted a lot of guys but it was still significantly stronger than it is now.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Andrew Miller wasn't the best relief pitcher in the game at the time.  Seemed like he started to become just that after the trade and beyond.  Just saying.

Duquette has protected his very top assets.  Erod had slipped a bit.  DD also has shown that he does not place a high value on late first round picks and lower or international slots.

That's not pro or con.  Just the facts.  How the Orioles organization looks in 2019 going forward will determine if Duquette was really smarter than a lot of people thought.

He was pretty dominant that entire 2014, and was the best RP on the market. Most GM make that trade regardless. 

I personally think DD has probably been more in the right place at the right time, then he has been a good GM. But he has made some good moves. He's made alot of bad moves, but he's shown he can pick up a nugget now and then and see in them what alot didn't. 

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I think Dan has done a fine job if my understanding of his goals is accurate.

I don't agree with his goals.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I am questioning your statement that the farm team was "shot".  Yes they had promoted a lot of guys but it was still significantly stronger than it is now.

It wouldn't take much to be significantly stronger than it is now.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Dan has done a fine job if my understanding of his goals is accurate.

I don't agree with his goals.

I don't either necessarily. Just pointing out he has made some good moves. I think he'd be better suited for a larger market team with money to blow.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It doesn't matter if the system was shot or not.    DD's been in charge  of the draft and the farm system for five years.    He owns it.    There's no blaming past administrations if our farm system is substandard now.    

8 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I don't either necessarily. Just pointing out he has made some good moves. I think he'd be better suited for a larger market team with money to blow.

Like Boston?  :P

Let's not forget that his first gig as GM was with Montreal where he built a powerhouse on a tight budget (that disintegrated after he left).  He seems like a guy that enforces a specific plan depending on the situation he is in -- of course, he would like to have more money to play with.  In this case, I believe Mr. Angelos is all in with DD and Buck on winning now, because Mr. Angelos wants to see as much success as possible before he passes.  And so Dan operates that way.  And so the Orioles have more payroll than Toronto, Texas, Seattle, Houston, Washington, New York (NL), and Colorado and almost as much as Los Angeles (AL), Chicago (NL) and San Francisco.

10 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

He was pretty dominant that entire 2014, and was the best RP on the market. Most GM make that trade regardless. 

I personally think DD has probably been more in the right place at the right time, then he has been a good GM. But he has made some good moves. He's made alot of bad moves, but he's shown he can pick up a nugget now and then and see in them what alot didn't. 

In his 16 years as GM in the MLB the has had losing seasons for one and a half years. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

In his 16 years as GM in the MLB the has had losing seasons for one and a half years. 

That is quite impressive, though one wonders why he was unemployed for so long then? Clearly other teams saw his success with Boston as not primarily owing to him.

4 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

That is quite impressive, though one wonders why he was unemployed for so long then? Clearly other teams saw his success with Boston as not primarily owing to him.

Duquette took over the Red Sox on January 27, 1994.    The team had losing seasons in 1992-93, and by the time he was hired in '94, the offseason was basically over.   They went 54-61 in that strike-shortened season, then went 86-58 the following year.   It's pretty hard not to give him some credit for restoring that organization back to being a winner.

The difference between best and worst farm system is a handful of trades. The White Sox are evidence of this. 

The Orioles don't make trades for prospects; the last one I can recall was Bedard. The Orioles farm system is in dire straits because we've been in "buy mode" since Dan got here. We've not seen Dan in "sell mode" and I'm not sure he's ever been in it. I suspect that under Dan we won't ever see Sell Mode.

There's a strong possibility that the O's win now strategy could change very soon. If the team falters early this or next season, then DD would be able to make some incredible trades. Pretty much any decent GM could get a huge haul of young players and prospects for Machado, Britton, Brach, etc., and there would be a ton of salary money available in 18 and 19. To me the ultimate quality of DD's tenure (and the end of the Peter Angelos era) is all about the next 28 months or so. The Orioles are in a position to jump start a rebuild in the next year and a half or so. It will be interesting to see if Angelos is willing to do it. 

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The difference between best and worst farm system is a handful of trades. The White Sox are evidence of this. 

The Orioles don't make trades for prospects; the last one I can recall was Bedard. The Orioles farm system is in dire straits because we've been in "buy mode" since Dan got here. We've not seen Dan in "sell mode" and I'm not sure he's ever been in it. I suspect that under Dan we won't ever see Sell Mode.

I fear that when DD is done we will be in "hell" mode.

Archived