Glenn Clark: Are The 2017 Orioles Actually Better Than They Were In 2016?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us compare Opening Day roster from last season to possible this season:

2016:

Regulars (Nine): C Matt Wieters, 1B Chris Davis, 2B Jonathan Schoop, 3B Manny Machado, SS J.J. Hardy, LF Joey Rickard, CF Adam Jones, RF Mark Trumbo, DH Pedro Alvarez

Reserves (Four): C Caleb Joseph, IF Ryan Flaherty, OF Hyun Soo Kim, OF Nolan Reimold

Starting Pitchers (Four): RHP Chris TIllman, RHP Yovani Gallardo, RHP Ubaldo Jimenez, RHP Mike Wright

Relief Pitchers (Eight): RHP Brad Brach, RHP Dylan Bundy, RHP Mychal Givens, LHP T.J. McFarland, RHP Darren O'Day, RHP Tyler Wilson, RHP Vance Worley, LHP Zach Britton (closer)

2017:

Regulars (Nine): C Wellington Castillo, 1B Chris Davis, 2B Jonathan Schoop, 3B Manny Machado, SS J.J. Hardy, LF Hyun Soo Kim, CF Adam Jones, RF Seth Smith, DH Mark Trumbo

Reserves (Four): C Caleb Joseph, IF Ryan Flaherty, OF Joey Rickard, IF Trey Mancini (or rule V guy)

Starting Pitchers (Five): RHP Chris Tillman (Tillman may not be here), RHP Dylan Bundy, RHP Ubaldo Jimenez, LHP Wade Miley, RHP Kevin Gausman

Relief Pitchers (Seven): RHP Brad Brach,  RHP Mychal Givens, LHP T.J. McFarland, RHP Darren O'Day, LHP Zach Britton (closer), LHP Donnie Hart, RHP Logan Verrett

o

Last year, the Orioles started out 7-0 in their first 7 games, and finished at 89-73 overall.

So if they start out at 6-1 or worse in their first 7 games this year, I'm going to be very pessimistic about their fate over the final 155 games of the 2017 season. 

I feel like it's pretty simple. They're better than last year if the starting pitching is better than last year. And that's definitely possible, but it's also not hard to imagine a rotation disaster. 

I'm confident that our bullpen, offense, and defense have fairly well-established ranges of performance and will offer something similar to last year. Whether the rotation can improve, and whether that actually leads to more wins, is what remains to be seen. 

It's a good column in my opinion.   The personnel probably isn't any better, but individual players might perform better than last year.    I see it as an 83-85 win team but fluctuations in performance and health could take it anywhere from .500ish to 91-92 wins.   I do have the feeling that the core players are feeling a sense of urgency with  the big changes coming in the next two offseasons.

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I feel like it's pretty simple. They're better than last year if the starting pitching is better than last year. And that's definitely possible, but it's also not hard to imagine a rotation disaster. 

I'm confident that our bullpen, offense, and defense have fairly well-established ranges of performance and will offer something similar to last year. Whether the rotation can improve, and whether that actually leads to more wins, is what remains to be seen. 

Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy take the next step; the Orioles are better.  And Tillman needs to stay healthy and productive.

I think Toronto is worse and that will also help.

Players I think will do better than last year: Davis, Schoop, Joseph, Bundy, O'Day.

Players I hope will do better than last year: Jones, Gausman, Miley, Jimenez.

Players I think will do worse than last year: Hardy, Trumbo, Britton (nowhere to go but down).

I expect the others to do about the same, and I think we'll have more injuries in 2017 than 2016.

23 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Probabaly, but he still could get better. He's young enough.

I guess unless you're striking out every batter you can always technically get better. But the guy just had what might have been the best results season in RP history! Perfect in saves and the lowest ERA ever with 50+ innings! 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I guess unless you're striking out every batter you can always technically get better. But the guy just had what might have been the best results season in RP history! Perfect in saves and the lowest ERA ever with 50+ innings! 

The record's 62 S. He's capable of breaking it. That would be an improvement.

Archived