Rule 5 guys show off early

wildcard

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I saw the thread title and knew this would be a wildcard thread.    Love the spring enthusiasm and optimism.   I hope these two continue to look like they're worthy of a Rule 5 selection.  

10 hours ago, Norfolk orioles said:

Would have been nice if they could have somehow traded Christian Walker for either of them.

I know they aren't "equal" prospects but Walker + a C prospect probably would have secured the trade for either considering both of their teams were willing to expose these kids for nothing.

Just a thought.

If Walker would have been enough to get either of these guys he would have been sent over with a big ribbon on his head! Just because teams put in a claim for Walker doesn't mean he had much trade value. 

20 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I could see Santander taking Mancini's spot at the MLB level to start the season solely based on options.

I think Mancini's fate is set at Norfolk. Sad but true.

e: Barring injury of course. *knockswood*

18 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I'm wondering if Rickard has gone from "sure thing" to AAA bound because of Santander and Tavarez. He's got an option and can be sent; the other two can't.

I think Santander needs to stay. He is one of the few solid prospects we have selected via the Rule 5.

If Rickard can be sent down, he better have a spring this year like he did last year or else no reason not to. Assuming this team breaks spring training with all veterans healthy other than Tilman is fools gold. These things usually work there way out in the wash.

I actually really like Tavarez (not more than Santander) enough to sacrifice a slight dip in productivity that we would otherwise get from Rickard if Rickard is not quite what he was last year ... to be honest, guys that play that well in the minors can get sometimes handle a couple months at the big league lever until there is a scouting report on them, and that would be half of the battle (for Santander, anyway) if we can find a way to justify extended time on the DL at some point ...

Unless the injury bug hits this team hard, the utility role players are often not much of a factor on a HR happy roster like this one ... I would argue that Tavarez would be a big plus on the base paths that could sub late in games for the big boppers who don't run or play defense all that well, and he might find a way to win a game or two in that role simply by making a play on the bases or on defense to win a game without needed to do much from the batter's box ...

Now, if Rickard turns out to be even better than last year (when he was hot), then you have to keep him ... to be honest, I need to take a closer look at the 25 man roster before really having more to say (intelligently) on this topic if that were to happen ... just so many new names in camp this year, I have to spend more time looking at the roster to make an assessment beyond this ... and really, even to make these points I am making right now, though I feel reasonably confident with what I've said here ...

Tavarez hit a rocket at the RF today for an out and then had a seeing eye base hit.  Apparently both guys have a decent stick.  If they can play serviceable OF defense I think a chance should be taken on both... if something comes up then so be it... 

Archived