Three GM questions

Frobby

1.    Do you want Duquette back after 2018?

2.    Mike Rizzo's contract is also up in 2018.    If Rizzo had interest in coming here, would you prefer him to Duquette?

3.    Let's say Buck is ready to retire as field manager after 2018.    Would you want him as our GM (1) over Duquette, or (2) if Duquette goes elsewhere?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm generally satisfied with the job that Duquette has done.  Although, his flirtation with Toronto while under contract to the O's was an issue for me.  

He has to deal with a difficult owner, not a bash on Angelos, just an assessment.  He's in a mid-major market, borrowing an NCAA analogy, in a division with two of baseballs richest teams.  So, I wouldn't mind if option A is taken.

I have no real interest in Rizzo.  He has deep pocket owners that don't mind pissing away money in the direction of Scott Boras, so they should be good.  I am intrigued by the thought of Showalter as a GM.  And, I'd also be interested in seeing what Brady Anderson might do.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2.    Mike Rizzo's contract is also up in 2018.    If Rizzo had interest in coming here, would you prefer him to Duquette?

3.    Let's say Buck is ready to retire as field manager after 2018.    Would you want him as our GM (1) over Duquette, or (2) if Duquette goes elsewhere?

1. Yes, I'd extend him now so he begins to plan beyond 2018, if not it might get ugly;

2. No

3. No way! Buck is a manager and it should remain that way. Rarely does it work out when a fish is out of water; and Buck does not appear to be a guy who is flexible. He seems to be a pretty black and white this is how you do it guy.

The reason I asked the Rizzo question is that I think he has done a better job than Duquette at building a good farm system, while at the same time fielding a very competitive team.    I'm not sure he could do it in Baltimore, though.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The reason I asked the Rizzo question is that I think he has done a better job than Duquette at building a good farm system, while at the same time fielding a very competitive team.    I'm not sure he could do it in Baltimore, though.

I'll just take the next Ivy league school grad that is waiting in line.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1. No

2. Yes

3. No, buck is a players manager who love veteranocity. He would put together a nice team for an over 35 league

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

1. Yes, without question. 

2. I like what Rizzo has done in DC, but how much of that is because he can sign the Scherzers, Strasburgs of the world

3. No. I'll take him as an executive and to learn the process first. I'd put him where Brady is now

I would love to see both Duquette and Showalter back in their current roles post-PA.  That would definitely be worth the price of admission.

Duquette seems analytical and dispationnate enough to field a great team if he isn't handcuffed by ownership.  By this I mean less encumbered by the need to keep familiar faces around past their ideal sell-by date.  It looks that way to me, anyway.

Buck is a great manager on the field and I'm glad he's been in Baltimore as long as he has.  If there is one knock on him, he strikes me as inflexible enough for me to wonder whether he would be as successful as a GM as is clearly is as a manager.

I don't follow the Nats enough to know anything about Rizzo.

Holy crap I'd hire Mike Rizzo as fast as I flipping could if I had the chance.  He deals with a lot of constraints in DC that frustrate him and he does a phenomenal job.  I'd hire him and get the hell out of the way, though I'm not sure the ownership group in our organization is smart enough to know that his knowledge of the game dwarfs their's.  A Rizzo/Buck tandem would be insanely brilliant.  Just freaking nirvana.  Plus it would annoy the hell out of the Lerners in DC. 

Sadly, it won't happen.  But anyone who says no has no idea how great it COULD be.

As for Buck, if he isn't managing my guess is he is better suited for a President/VP type of role, above a GM who is in charge of picking players and the farm director who would be tasked with developing them.

2 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Holy crap I'd hire Mike Rizzo as fast as I flipping could if I had the chance.  He deals with a lot of constraints in DC that frustrate him and he does a phenomenal job.  I'd hire him and get the hell out of the way, though I'm not sure the ownership group in our organization is smart enough to know that his knowledge of the game dwarfs their's.  A Rizzo/Buck tandem would be insanely brilliant.  Just freaking nirvana.  Plus it would annoy the hell out of the Lerners in DC. 

Sadly, it won't happen.  But anyone who says no has no idea how great it COULD be.

As for Buck, if he isn't managing my guess is he is better suited for a President/VP type of role, above a GM who is in charge of picking players and the farm director who would be tasked with developing them.

I think he would be better off back on TV.

Archived