They All Break

weams

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't buy into any voodoo, not even the voodoo that you do so well.

I don't. I believe an injury would have happened in Spring training as well as the WBC. I guess a case could be made that some guys "ramp it up" a little quicker in the WBC but I don't think it changes fate.

Drew Smyly, like  Pineda, has always been an enigma. They both post these amazing peripherals, super high K/9 low BB/9 good FIPs/xFIPs and yet they always manage to underperform those peripherals because their pitch sequencing is just awful. If the right organization got hold of either of those two, they could turn them into front end monsters.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And what is even worse is that Gallardo did pitch for them.

Their GM sure likes to churn his roster doesn't he.  The experts love him but I don't see much in the way of positive results.

Glad he passed on our offer. He's failed twice since. 

1 hour ago, Tryptamine said:

Drew Smyly, like  Pineda, has always been an enigma. They both post these amazing peripherals, super high K/9 low BB/9 good FIPs/xFIPs and yet they always manage to underperform those peripherals because their pitch sequencing is just awful. If the right organization got hold of either of those two, they could turn them into front end monsters.

Or they might just be Daniel Cabreras. 

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Daniel Cabrera was not a saber darling. He never posted a FiP or xFip below 4, and was usually closer to 5.

I do suspect that both of those pitchers have failed careers like Daniel Cabrera did. Even after flashing something when healthy. OR growing six inches. 

13 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

What I was truly saying was that it was not pitch sequencing alone. It's something else. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

No. Steve Johnson was though.

Was he? Career Fip above his ERA. Looking at his numbers I don't see why any stat people would be excited. 2012 was promising I suppose, but even then the walks were too high to expect any sustained success as a starter.