They All Break

weams

On 4/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Giants' Bumgarner Hurt Dirt Bike Accident

(By Henry Schulman)

http://www.sfgate.com/giants/article/Giants-Bumgarner-seriously-hurt-in-dirt-bike-11090232.php

o

o

The Giants are Wise not to Punish the Underpaid Madison Bumgarner 

(By Buster Olney)

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/insider/post/_/id/16529/olney-giants-wise-not-to-punish-underpaid-madison-bumgarner

o

The Rockies of the Southeast Denver Baseball Little League have listed pitcher Finnegan Wells as Day-to-Day after Finnegan tumbled from his "totally cool" stunt bike while attempting a jump over three school backpacks in his backyard.  Wells suffered several abrasions on his forearm.  When asked about the decision to make the jump, Finnegan insisted, "it seemed like a good idea at the time."  If forced to miss his next start, Wells will be replaced by Tony Colantangelo, who claims to throw "faster than a speeding train."

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Let’s look at this from an individual player perspective. 1. Henderson.  Walked a lot early last year but didn’t hit.  Got more aggressive and hit.  Continues to be aggressive and is hitting even better. 2. Rutschman. Our most patient hitter until this season.  Walking a lot less.  Hitting for average, power, and OPS.    Except for less walks, headed for a career year. 3.  Cowser.  Great walk numbers in the minors.  Too passive last year.  More aggressive this year and, overall, much better. This isn’t a directive from the FO.  These are individual players finding what works best for them.   The biggest difference, I would guess, is with Rutschman and if he’s going to hit .280 and do 30/100 I’ll take it.
    • Well said. I’ll also add that it’s not hard to get frustrated when  you can’t get a runner in from 3rd multiple times when you’re supposed to be a top 5 team 
    • When you’re above average in almost every other batting metric you can get away with a slower bat.
    • Well, we know some reasons he did some of these things, and knowing the reasons might not mean we agree with them but a rational person might at least consider them rather than dismissing them as awful moves out of hand:    1) The backup C is going to play quite a few games.   That's just a fact.  Would be nice if we had a better backup C (but a lot of MLB teams are in the same boat).   But we don't.  McCann has started 17 out of 41 games, perhaps a bit more than you would expect, but he is going to get his starts and complaining about every time it happens and considering it a horrible move is just silly.       2) We now know that Hays' calf was bothering him.   Hyde said he would have started Mullins otherwise.    3) Losing the DH was part of it.   But also part of it was that if we pinch hit O'Hearn, they had the lefty Mayza ready, and O'Hearn has terrible #s vs lefties.   And maybe Hyde was also aware of Santander's sore knee and knew he might have to save O'Hearn to replace him in RF, because at this point we had already used most of the rest of our bench.    4) Bunting in the first place -- an act of desperation to some extent because we have been so horrible recently scoring runs other than via the HR; and McCann actually does have some experience bunting and has succeeded in the past.   Bunting with 2 strikes -- if Hyde was telling the truth in the press conference, McCann did that on his own so Hyde can't be blamed, other than for allowing a player the latitude to make such a decision in the first place.  (And Santander might have been safe anyway).   5) I got nothing on this one.   I have a hard time justifying Urias for Stowers.   That is the one move that I simply agree was bad. So there is at least some rational justification for four of the five things you describe as awful/brutal, etc. And he did some good things in this game:    1) He went out of character to some extent and allowed relievers who were being effective (Baumann, Perez) to go more than one inning.   We managed to cover 5 relief innings with just 4 guys, usually Hyde averages more than one reliever per inning by making too many changes.   And the pen gave up 1 hit and no runs in those 5 innings.       2) He shook up the order a bit vs a left, moved Westburg to the top of the lineup, Gunnar to cleanup.
    • Every pitch except fastballs down the middle with two strikes and a man on third  in the bottom of the ninth trailing by a run.
    • I feel like the whole team is, and I could be wrong, but I would guess it is an intentional strategy the organization implemented this year.  Made a similar comment in another thread. The whole team has a combined ops that is the same as last year (.740) despite extremely subpar play from hays/mullins/santander and Holliday (tho that was just 30 at bats) in spite of a decreased OBP across the team. So we are performing approximately par with last year despite terrible play from our outfield due to being more aggressive and doing more damage with the pitches we can drive. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now