anyone have Smoak's righty/lefty splits?

We've had comparisons to non-Orioles for Smoak, but we had our own switch-hitting, power-hitting 1B. How would you compare him to Eddie Murray?

Now you want us to compare him to a Hall of Famer? :scratchchinhmm:

Ok, they both switch-hit and play first base. How's that? Oh yeah, hopefully they both will be/were Orioles for the majority of their career.

We can only hope Smoak has half the career Eddie had. They both are/were above average defensively. They both are stronger from the left side of the plate.

Eddie hit 27 HR's and .283 at the age of 21 for the Orioles. Smoak is a college junior at the age of 21. End of comparison.

We've had comparisons to non-Orioles for Smoak, but we had our own switch-hitting, power-hitting 1B. How would you compare him to Eddie Murray?

I've actually given thought to this, and one can see the possibilities of Smoak becoming a similar player to Murray.

Murray made the majors at 21, while Smoak is still in college, however for comparison's sake, let's focus on the basics...

*Both switch hit, and very well from both sides.

*Both have/had a good eye, able to take a walk, while not striking out too often.

*Both are/were very good defenders at 1st.

*Murray had 27-33 HR's per year in his prime, with a lifetime batting average of .287, and a prime years OPS that ran between .830-.940.

I find it very interesting, as I've projected Smoak earlier this year as > .285-.290 BA, 30+ HR's, solid production and a .875'ish OPS. That's Murray-like, although Murray played in an era that stats were down across the board. Smoak will not be Eddie, but I don't think it's foolish at all to think he can put up Murray-type numbers as a ML'er.

Archived