What do Roch's comments on Mancini mean?

wildcard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm thinking along with you.  If Trumbo is playing RF against LHP then Mancini is probably on the team to DH against them.

If Gentry is on the team then I see him and Rickard in the OF against LHP with Trumbo the full time DH.

I don't think even Buck is 100% sure what he's doing yet.

Sounds right to me.

Gentry has to hit to make the team.  Its too  early to know what will happen.  They like his defense though.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Not necessarily.   Jones  and Rickard could be full time outfielders if Kim or Smith are injured.  Then who ever is healthy, Kim or Smith,  could platoon with Gentry.     That could happen if Rickard puts up good numbers vs right-handed and left-handed pitching and if he plays good defense.

Then there is not reason for Trumbo to go to the outfield.  And no reason for Mancini be being called up because there would be no playing time for him.  

The biggest reason for Trumbo to go to the outfield is when the O's play National Leagues teams in National League parks.  Then he has to play the outfield or sit.

While I don't think Trumbo will get as many innings in RF as he did last year, I fully expect him to turn up out there (even in American League parks) at least once a week, if not more often.

Mancini's role will likely be in AAA until someone gets hurt. And while that's obviously not a guarantee, it's probably going to happen at some point. The O's have been very fortunate, injury-wise, the last two years. Trumbo or Davis could get banged up at some point.

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Are you Joey Rickard?

It would be nice to be 25 again but no.

I just  think Joey fits very well with what the O's need.  He could lead off.  His history says he will probably have a high OBP if given the chance.  He is one of three best fielding outfielders in camp.  As Adam Jones points out the O's need better defensive players in the outfield.  Joey is younger that most of the outfielders that have a chance to make the team.  That means he probably will improve instead of decline.   All that said Joey has to earn his spot.  So far he is doing what he has to.

So why won't I root for him to get a full time role with the O's? Why aren't you?

Archived