16 Garrett Cleavinger 22 A+ LHP 2018             40
17 Cedric Mullins 22 A OF 2020 40
18 Tanner Scott 22 AA LHP 2019 40

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bundy was good, Harvey was good.

It's easy for a pitcher to have their ascent delayed for a significant period of time.

Well, I'm assuming no injury which I figure these projections were also doing. 

If Akin and Sedlock are REALLY good we could see them by the end of this season.  I'm more optimistic about Akin based on early returns.  Late 2018 or early 2019 seems reasonable if they end up being good prospects.  They will be 23 then.  

I wouldn't expect Hays to move as fast but if he's a starting caliber major league player than I'd hope to see him up here by 2019.  

I'll be disappointed if any of these guys don't start at Frederick.  If they can't handle it there at 21/22 then they weren't very good to begin with.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Well, I'm assuming no injury which I figure these projections were also doing. 

If Akin and Sedlock are REALLY good we could see them by the end of this season.  I'm more optimistic about Akin based on early returns.  Late 2018 or early 2019 seems reasonable if they end up being good prospects.  They will be 23 then.  

I wouldn't expect Hays to move as fast but if he's a starting caliber major league player than I'd hope to see him up here by 2019.  

I'll be disappointed if any of these guys don't start at Frederick.  If they can't handle it there at 21/22 then they weren't very good to begin with.  

KLaw stated that Sedlock could have been a weapon out of the pen as early as last season.

I would prefer if they were not rushed like Gausman and Bundy were.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

KLaw stated that Sedlock could have been a weapon out of the pen as early as last season.

I would prefer if they were not rushed like Gausman and Bundy were.

Gausman was certainly rushed.  He wasn't given a full season in the minors (and wasn't that dominant there) before being promoted to the Orioles.  

Bundy was absolutely dominant and earned his cup of tea at the end of the 2012 season.  That elbow was going to go either way. 

I'm not advocating either of them being up here this season unless they have earned it.  But I don't believe in holding guys back just to do it.  Sedlock was very average in Aberdeen.  There is a good chance he will need a couple years to develop.  Or maybe he's just not very good.  I think a lot of these questions will be answered the first month or two of the minor league season.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Gausman was certainly rushed.  He wasn't given a full season in the minors (and wasn't that dominant there) before being promoted to the Orioles.  

Bundy was absolutely dominant and earned his cup of tea at the end of the 2012 season.  That elbow was going to go either way. 

I'm not advocating either of them being up here this season unless they have earned it.  But I don't believe in holding guys back just to do it.  Sedlock was very average in Aberdeen.  There is a good chance he will need a couple years to develop.  Or maybe he's just not very good.  I think a lot of these questions will be answered the first month or two of the minor league season.  

I wasn't suggesting his injury was the result of his 2012 promotion.

I think the Rays' approach to promoting pitchers gets better results.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't suggesting his injury was the result of his 2012 promotion.

I think the Rays' approach to promoting pitchers gets better results.

If these guys earn second half promotions to Bowie and are dominant there I would not be surprised to see them starting for us late in the season and maybe in the playoffs just based on need and the lack of viable options.  Unlikely but certainly possible.  

There are plenty of other starters ahead of them right now, but other than maybe Chris Lee there is not much to get excited about and two or three of our big league rotation spots could be a revolving door.  

Akin could be a better version of Wade Miley come September.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

The Yankees had 33 I think.  

Not surprised.  They have done a heck of a job rebuilding and didn't have to hit rock bottom to do it.  For all the pride some folks have in the O's not having a losing season recently when was the last time the Yankees did?

Archived