[Fangraphs] Top 18 Prospects: Baltimore Orioles

Enjoy Terror

I did a study of all the AL East teams' drafts from 2000 to the present earlier this offseason.     http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26963-ranking-the-best-orioles-draft-picks-of-the-21st-century/&page=2

The Yankees were the second-worst drafting team in the division over that span (we were worst), and almost all the value came from players drafted in the early part of that span.    The Yankees haven't drafted a player since 2008 who has accumulated 1.0 rWAR or more in the major leagues.   So, I would not attribute their streak of winning seasons to good drafting.    But they have done well on the international front, and of course have bought a lot of players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fangraphs came out with their Red Sox list today -- one 65, two 55's, a 45 and then 11 40's.    Good talent at the top, but not very deep after the trades they made last summer and winter.    Aneury Tavarez comes in at no. 15.    

An interesting read and good job by Eric Longenhagen. Obviously we have some disagreements here and there, and I don't see how Sedlock comes out as a 45 with three above average pitches, but the names are mostly here. Biggest surprises, no mention of Gassaway at all and I'm still the only guy on Muckenhirm. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Blue Jays list is out today -- 17 deep, including one 55, two 50's and six 45's.     

Didn't they just trade the farm away a few years ago?

I guess it is possible to rebuild the farm while being competitive at the major league level.

Who'd have thunk it?

Archived