Rank the Top 4 Prospects...

1 - Vote for Pedro - IMO, still head and shoulders above the competition

2 - Tim Beckham

3 - Justin Smoak

4 - Gordon Beckham - I know it's a bit of a reach, but I really like his makeup and I think he can make the necessary adjustments at the plate. I've also read he has really nice hair.

And 5 - Buster Posey - I really like this kid too, but he just doesn't project well at other positions and I think it's too early to move Wieters from behind the plate.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Pedro

2. T-Bex

3. Smoak

4. Matusz

EDIT -- Didn't see it was for BAL, and not our overall top 4.

This is basically my list, though Pedro and Beckham are tied for first (again, it's not like it's a decision we'll ever HAVE to make.:P)

1> Pedro Alvarez - #1 by far

2> Justin Smoak - Always been a fan

3>Tim Beckham - Need position prospect, but I am so impatient after Rowell and ESPECIALLY Snyder

4) Matusz - Nothing wrong with getting the top pitcher in the draft

1. Alvarez

2. Smoak

3. Crow (I know this is a little higher than most, but I love his delivery. Reminds me of Lincecum in that he just seems to uncoil and release fury toward the plate. I just have a feeling about him.)

4. TBeckham

My list has changed already. :D

1. Hosmer

2. TBeckham

3. Alvarez

4. Smoak

5. Matusz

The award for 'God I hope he falls to pick #50' goes to -- Brett Lawrie- Won't be an Oriole, but I absolutely love this kid's bat.

Why the switch to Beckham over Alvarez? Anything you'd care to share with us?

Why the switch to Beckham over Alvarez? Anything you'd care to share with us?

BA's late word that Beckham was playing very well at the end of his season, whereas Pedro has not been played well at all.

Beckham's projection is a slight concern for me. Originally listed at 6' 2- 190, he now appears to be 6' 0 - 185, and while not a tremendous difference, it had me drawing some conclusions about the things I've read. Being hailed as a potential 5-tool talent is exciting, as it gives the reader something to envision... very good speed, very good defense, very good arm, very good bat, very good power... err, maybe not so much. Time will tell, but I don't see 20+ HR's from TBeck as a pro.

Tim Beckham is a tremendous prospect and I would be elated if he fell to us at pick #4, but his pre-season projections as a pro may have been slightly off power wise. That doesn't take away from his other exceptional skills, but simply tempers my original optimism regarding his overall skill-set.

BA's late word that Beckham was playing very well at the end of his season, whereas Pedro has not been played well at all.

Beckham's projection is a slight concern for me. Originally listed at 6' 2- 190, he now appears to be 6' 0 - 185, and while not a tremendous difference, it had me drawing some conclusions about the things I've read. Being hailed as a potential 5-tool talent is exciting, as it gives the reader something to envision... very good speed, very good defense, very good arm, very good bat, very good power... err, maybe not so much. Time will tell, but I don't see 20+ HR's from TBeck as a pro.

Tim Beckham is a tremendous prospect and I would be elated if he fell to us at pick #4, but his pre-season projections as a pro may have been slightly off power wise. That doesn't take away from his other exceptional skills, but simply tempers my original optimism regarding his overall skill-set.

Do you think Pedro's performance right now is really going to affect him much? He has always been a top tier guy and I kind of doubt his fade matters much. The tournament is more for fringe guys to showcase and catapult or burn and drop.

Archived