Mike Bordick and "punch outs"

drdelaware

Maybe it is just be, but Bordick's refusal to ever use the term "strike out" is highly annoying during the O's TV broadcasts.  Maybe walks should now be called "strolls"?  I've never heard an umpire call a pitch over the plate "punch 1"

Petty stuff I know and more important to get an Orioles win.  Just wish Palmer would do more games. :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started to watch the other teams broadcast when he's on. He is just driving me nuts with his color. I feel like I'm being talked down to by someone who thinks they know everything about baseball and tells you facets about the game to you assuming you know nothing and need things explained to like a 5 year old.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Honestly I would offer Palmer Manny-dollars to do every game, Bordick is that bad.

I would love to have Palmer do more games but I am sure Jim is looking to wind down his career than do more games.  I would love to have Ben McDonald do the games Palmer doesn't do.  

1 hour ago, Nite said:

I've started to watch the other teams broadcast when he's on. He is just driving me nuts with his color. I feel like I'm being talked down to by someone who thinks they know everything about baseball and tells you facets about the game to you assuming you know nothing and need things explained to like a 5 year old.

Thurday night he said that Caleb Joseph was "arguably the Orioles MVP" in 2015.

I had to back up the TV to make sure he really said that.

8 hours ago, Nite said:

Bordick does know everything about baseball, and some of his analysis is great.  His problem is that he bores us by reading exactly what is printed on the television screen.  Worse, he is never ever critical -- everything is great.  I know he doesn't really see things that way -- he has a great baseball mind.  I just wish he would be more like ... Palmer?

9 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

Bordick does know everything about baseball, and some of his analysis is great.  His problem is that he bores us by reading exactly what is printed on the television screen.  Worse, he is never ever critical -- everything is great.  I know he doesn't really see things that way -- he has a great baseball mind.  I just wish he would be more like ... Palmer?

I heard him criticize Schoop for misplaying that infield popup yesterday.  He chastised him!  I loved his description of Bundy as Quadzilla!  Britt loved it also!

43 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

That's one of my biggest Bordick peeves. It's on the screen. There's no need to read out loud the full list of top five AL hitters in day games versus LHP.

8 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

That's one of my biggest Bordick peeves. It's on the screen. There's no need to read out loud the full list of top five AL hitters in day games versus LHP.

I would lay "blame" on the producer/director of the broadcast, but that is me not you.  Hunter is infinitely more confounding with his little idiosyncrasies, "turning the lineup over", "if this batter gets on, tying run is coming to the plate", etc., etc. (IMHO).

I too struggle with Bordick; from my perspective, he is the Orioles answer to the two Nationals guys, who I think are unwatchable because they are such cheerleaders. I like a little hometown bias in my local broadcast, but especially Bordick's hyperbole kills me.

If he could tone it down about three notches, I'd be happy. Failing that, give me as much Palmer as I can get or some of the other guys that were suggested. Sadly I think we are stuck with Mike for a long time.

Not to digress, but Gary Thorne, on the other hand, I absolutely love. He is unique, witty, entertaining, and the right degree of homer.

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I would lay "blame" on the producer/director of the broadcast, but that is me not you.  Hunter is infinitely more confounding with his little idiosyncrasies, "turning the lineup over", "if this batter gets on, tying run is coming to the plate", etc., etc. (IMHO).

Fully agreed, I prefer Bordick over Hunter and his excitement over a "three game hit streak" or how a batter has "reached safely in five straight games". Riveting. :)

I have never watched a game because of any announcer because having to have listened to Phil Rizzuto for my entire youth as it was the only baseball we got until the Mets went on WOR.  We then had to tolerate McCarver who I think was worse than Rizzuto.  The Orioles announcers are Hall of Fame worthy compared to those two (McCarver,Rizzuto).

Archived