Mike Bordick and "punch outs"

drdelaware

19 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Fully agreed, I prefer Bordick over Hunter and his excitement over a "three game hit streak" or how a batter has "reached safely in five straight games". Riveting. :)

The two together are a bad combination.    When Thorne does PBP, he does a better job of drawing out Bordick's knowledge of the game.    When Palmer does color, he'll contradict Hunter when he says something inane.   But when Hunter and Bordick are paired together, it's a bit hard to take.    

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Fully agreed, I prefer Bordick over Hunter and his excitement over a "three game hit streak" or how a batter has "reached safely in five straight games". Riveting. :)

"Trumbo with 3 consecutive multi-hit games..."  :deadhorse:

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The two together are a bad combination.    When Thorne does PBP, he does a better job of drawing out Bordick's knowledge of the game.    When Palmer does color, he'll contradict Hunter when he says something inane.   But when Hunter and Bordick are paired together, it's a bit hard to take.    

Yes - that - and Jim H, if you are reading this, we love your enthusiasm, hair and stat consciousness but work on the (as Gordo might say), "announce ability".  Not a hater....:D 

We all know that Bordick said "RBIs" when he was a player and the whole time he was growing up. He's gotten duped by the fake-grammar police into always dropping the "s" off the plural, resulting in diseuphonious, stilted speech to go with his flat, dull tone of voice..

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like butterscotch on a tuna melt.

2 hours ago, schittenden said:

I couldn't stand him when he started. I like him more now. When I listen to other team's broadcasts, I'm usually reminded of how good we have it. 

Between palmer/Thorne on TV and joe angel on the radio, we have it quite good. If you don't believe me, turn on a Nats broadcast or NESN. 

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bordick is growing on me. Maybe it's the winning talking. 

I don't think Bordick is very good, but he certainly bothers me a lot less than he used to. I don't know whether he has improved or I'm just more accustomed to him. I do find at times that I'm not listening to him when I multitask while watching a game.

It does seem that Bordick knows and understands baseball and the Orioles pretty well. He just communicates in a way that is so non-critical and condescending. (I did notice, though, that when Gentry cut off the base hit down the line last night, he said he hadn't seen a play like that by the O's in a while.) Isn't there a way to train these guys other than on-the-job?

On the OP subject of punch-outs, I have a similar reaction to the term now universally used for outside shots (especially 3-pointers) in basketball. Nobody "makes" those shots any more. They  "drain" them. That term, like punch-out for K's, may have added some color at one time, but now it's just (to me) grating.

5 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't think Bordick is very good, but he certainly bothers me a lot less than he used to. I don't know whether he has improved or I'm just more accustomed to him. I do find at times that I'm not listening to him when I multitask while watching a game.

It does seem that Bordick knows and understands baseball and the Orioles pretty well. He just communicates in a way that is so non-critical and condescending. (I did notice, though, that when Gentry cut off the base hit down the line last night, he said he hadn't seen a play like that by the O's in a while.) Isn't there a way to train these guys other than on-the-job?

On the OP subject of punch-outs, I have a similar reaction to the term now universally used for outside shots (especially 3-pointers) in basketball. Nobody "makes" those shots any more. They  "drain" them. That term, like punch-out for K's, may have added some color at one time, but now it's just (to me) grating.

I would think the term punch out refers to the gesture the ump usually makes on a  K.

13 hours ago, bobmc said:

Hunter is infinitely more confounding with his little idiosyncrasies, "turning the lineup over", "if this batter gets on, tying run is coming to the plate", etc., etc. (IMHO).

It's fun hearing opinions on this. We all have such a wide range of preferences when it comes to the broadcast team.

In defense of this one for Hunter, though, I think this is a carry over from his radio habits. Hearing the situation described this way is a great way to paint the picture in your mind without being beaten over the head with the score. Same could go for some of his other sayings that sound pedantic or pandering on TV.

We have it good here in Baltimore. Real good. As Buck would say: "These ARE the good ol' days."

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Seconded. I think Bordick's improved, but still has no business being the color guy for a MLB team. He's condescending and doesn't seem to add anything close to what McDonald or Roberts do in terms of insight. His descriptions of plays sound forced, amateurish, and boring, and it grates. I mute it at least half the time due to him.

2 hours ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Bordick makes me want to mute my TV between this and referring to Davis as "The Crusher".

Listening to him and Hunter call games together should take the place of prison sentences.

It's somewhere between a guy obviously trying too hard, and a barrage of Dad jokes.

2 hours ago, Stevie Janowski said:

Bordick makes me want to mute my TV between this and referring to Davis as "The Crusher".

Listening to him and Hunter call games together should take the place of prison sentences.

I love Joe Angel but I'm kind of tired of hearing him call CHris Davis "the Big Guy" every single time.

Archived