Mike Bordick and "punch outs"

drdelaware

7 hours ago, tsqd said:

Seconded. I think Bordick's improved, but still has no business being the color guy for a MLB team. He's condescending and doesn't seem to add anything close to what McDonald or Roberts do in terms of insight. His descriptions of plays sound forced, amateurish, and boring, and it grates. I mute it at least half the time due to him.

I'm not a big Bordick fan, but I don't understand what about him is "condescending."    Please elaborate.    

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm not a big Bordick fan, but I don't understand what about him is "condescending."    Please elaborate.    

Yeah - not sure either unless it's the fact that he's around the team so much and actually knows how these guys operate and we don't.  But I never feel like he's "lording it over us".  :confused:

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't hear that out of Bordick either. He's just too monotonous (monochrome?) for the very definition of a color commentator. Hunter is way too eager, like someone let their kid in the booth with a stat sheet and two bags of cotton candy (although oddly, I'm fine with him on  radio). 

I was quite impressed with Roberts last year, and hope to hear him more often. Is he still on staff?

On 4/22/2017 at 8:40 AM, InsideCoroner said:

Fully agreed, I prefer Bordick over Hunter and his excitement over a "three game hit streak" or how a batter has "reached safely in five straight games". Riveting. :)

Haha. Both are bad, but I have a soft spot for Hunter since he was the Orioles voice of radio in the nineties into the 2000s.

No one beats Thorne and Palmer. Not one is even close.

23 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Haha. Both are bad, but I have a soft spot for Hunter since he was the Orioles voice of radio in the nineties into the 2000s.

No one beats Thorne and Palmer. Not one is even close.

Hunter on the radio is much better. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2017 at 10:25 PM, drdelaware said:

Maybe it is just be, but Bordick's refusal to ever use the term "strike out" is highly annoying during the O's TV broadcasts.  Maybe walks should now be called "strolls"?  I've never heard an umpire call a pitch over the plate "punch 1"

Petty stuff I know and more important to get an Orioles win.  Just wish Palmer would do more games. :)

I had never really noticed this until you posted this thread.    Now it's driving me nuts.   He literally says punch-outs every time.  

Hey, baseball is entertainment.  Wouldn't it be great if it were acceptable to put comedians in the broadcast booth, who would be allowed to use colorful language.  Kids here all this stuff at home or on the street every day, anyway.  Censorship is created by very unhappy people, who do their damnedest to ensure everybody else will be unhappy, too.  The best things in life are things that make you smile and laugh, regardless of the verbal content.  You can find a joke on any subject.  If we would laugh at ourselves more, the world would be a better place.   Think about this.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:23 AM, waroriole said:

There's nothing better than Gary and Palmer, but go listen to other team's announcers then report back about Bordick. He's a bit too homerish but he knows the game very well. 

Just listen to a Nationals' broadcast. They're straight trash.

Archived