Buster Olney on Machado plunking, Red Sox deserve all the blame

xian4

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The guy was charging at him. Not sure what else Pedro should have done in that situation. Is he supposed to run from a 75 year-old man? He would never hear the end of it.

Run from?  Step aside, step back, put your arms and say whoa old fella. .  I agree he was being charged, but I am sure there was a way he could have handled it better, even in the heat of the moment.  JMO

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From what I have read about Bundy I would not put the probability at 0.

I think if he was going to do it, he would have done it with two outs.

37 minutes ago, murph said:

Run from?  Step aside, step back, put your arms and say whoa old fella. .  I agree he was being charged, but I am sure there was a way he could have handled it better, even in the heat of the moment.  JMO

I dunno, I just rewatched the clip, there is a healthy scrum around him, I don't know what he could have done other than set him down. 

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I dunno, I just rewatched the clip, there is a healthy scrum around him, I don't know what he could have done other than set him down. 

Yea, I rewatched it as well, I think the grabbing of the head is what bothered me the most.  But I guess going there as a judge of total character is probably not fair, I just remember being really put off by that act. 

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think that Betts was the "Machado equivalent" on the Red Sox.

Not saying I think it was intentional, just that it might have been.

Honestly, I thought Bundy threw at him - because a pitch or 2 earlier he came way inside also around the midsection and that seemed like a warning that he was going to come at him - and sure enough he did.  But what people need to understand is throwing at someone's midsection is not risking injuring the batter.  It's COMPLETELY different from throwing near someone's head.  

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Honestly, I thought Bundy threw at him - because a pitch or 2 earlier he came way inside also around the midsection and that seemed like a warning that he was going to come at him - and sure enough he did.  But what people need to understand is throwing at someone's midsection is not risking injuring the batter.  It's COMPLETELY different from throwing near someone's head.  

Not sure. But I can see how it looks that way. To me, it just was a message, that "I'm coming inside and low. If you want to stay there, it's your choice. Quit crowding the plate." And more than likely a set up for an outside pitch soon after. And sometimes you miss. The mitt was set up for an inside pitch.  Pitching inside is something Papi complained about constantly vs. the O's, most famously when Kevin Gregg threw 3 straight inside and he objected. I don't have the clip handy, but I don't think he went high. Nor did Bundy. 

7 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Not sure. But I can see how it looks that way. To me, it just was a message, that "I'm coming inside and low. If you want to stay there, it's your choice. Quit crowding the plate." And more than likely a set up for an outside pitch soon after. And sometimes you miss. The mitt was set up for an inside pitch.  Pitching inside is something Papi complained about constantly vs. the O's, most famously when Kevin Gregg threw 3 straight inside and he objected. I don't have the clip handy, but I don't think he went high. Nor did Bundy. 

Either way, if Boston retaliates in the SAME manor in a close game, I'll be fine with getting the free base-runner.  

Archived