Notable ESPN Layoffs

25 Nuggets

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might be that clueless.

Berman doesn't play well with the modern audience, but in the 90s and early 2000s he was essentially synonymous with football coverage. ESPN considered him unfireable. That oral history of the network that came out some time back detailed how much ESPN didn't want the guy around, but felt like they couldn't let him go.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might be that clueless.

I'm sure Disney has people with their finger on the pulse.. doing 3rd party evaluations on the people in front of the camera. I'm a bit eccentric though.

7 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

He's being phased out, believe me.

I would think so.. but he did show up for a few 'big games' this year. I muted it.. lol

4 minutes ago, ba9oriole said:

A big reason ESPN has been losing viewers is because of the leftist propaganda they've been trying to shoehorn into shows that are SUPPOSED to be about sports. People watch sports and sports shows to GET AWAY from things such as politics.

Here we go.

23 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Berman doesn't play well with the modern audience, but in the 90s and early 2000s he was essentially synonymous with football coverage. ESPN considered him unfireable. That oral history of the network that came out some time back detailed how much ESPN didn't want the guy around, but felt like they couldn't let him go.

Agree about Berman he was highly entertaining in the 80's and 90's. I really dont watch ESPN so I dont know how good he is anymore. At one time Berman was ESPN.

17 minutes ago, ba9oriole said:

A big reason ESPN has been losing viewers is because of the leftist propaganda they've been trying to shoehorn into shows that are SUPPOSED to be about sports. People watch sports and sports shows to GET AWAY from things such as politics.

They did hire Rush Limbaugh to do NFL pregame coverage so you have to give ESPN credit for trying. Of course he got fired after like two weeks or something. 

1 hour ago, ba9oriole said:

WTF are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, ba9oriole said:

See the post right above yours, libtard.

You have no idea what my politics are.   Nice insult, though.    I've never noticed that ESPN is particularly political, and I doubt that any political views they've expressed has much to do with their declining viewership, which mostly has to do with viewers getting rid of cable and buying their entertainment a la carte,

6 minutes ago, ba9oriole said:

Then how come ESPN is having this big problem and not most other channels are? It's not like people can buy their channels individually.

Because ESPN overcommmitted on escalating, long term deals with various sports leagues.    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you what I've read.    

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You have no idea what my politics are.   Nice insult, though.    I've never noticed that ESPN is particularly political, and I doubt that any political views they've expressed has much to do with their declining viewership, which mostly has to do with viewers getting rid of cable and buying their entertainment a la carte,

I have noticed a definite increase in political comments from ESPN and its talent, in columns and twitter.  I don't think it has a single thing to do with their decreases in terms of cause, which as I think you correctly point out is because of their huge commitments in terms of dollars.  That said, I do not see how anyone could not recognize that there seems to be a very deliberate attempt to be more political as a way to fight their decline.  

I say that not to debate with you on the above post...and certainly not as an insult.  Merely as my observation on their current position.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Lost a lot of subscribers. 

Yep. Cord cutting doubly hurts them. 

They have less eyeballs for ad time AND lose the carriage fees, which are easily highest of any cable channel. 

Double revenue streams was awesome when times are good, but that cuts both ways. 

Archived