Rickard is being activated too soon

wildcard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Then we might as well start Gentry vs RHP over Kim too.

A hitter who can rake against right-handed pitching is much more valuable than a hitter who can only hit left-handed pitching. Teams usually face left-handed starters around 40-50 times a year. If there is a strict platoon, the lefty who can hit right-handed pitching will almost always get more than twice as many at-bats than the right-handed hitter who can only hit left-handed pitching. Furthermore, Kim has never been given a fair opportunity to show if he can handle left-handed pitching while Rickard was given almost 200 ABs against right-handed pitchers and was utterly terrible against them. How do we know Kim wouldn't be able to provide above average offensive value if he was given 600 ABs and allowed to play everyday? 

35 minutes ago, gtown said:

Not just the projection systems. Rickard's lifetime bWAR is -0.8, fWAR is -0.9.

Pretty much all of the numbers say it, but folks here want to cherry-pick his best split, which is all of 87 career AB against lefties. 

I'm not sold on Rickard, but to want to point out that Statcast's catch probability stat paints Rickard as a much better fielder than either UZR or dWAR do.    I think the jury's still out on Rickard's defensive prowess.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yup. Sabathia on Friday. Rickard will be activated from the DL. We're just going to play with a short pen for two days, but we will have two long guys in Asher and Nuno.  

I'm thinking this is the plan: off day, Gausman should go 6 IP on Friday, Aquino starts Saturday, Aquino or Asher is optioned for a BP arm for Sunday, Tillman starts the next time we need a 5th SP.  

Tillman? You think he would be ready by then?

13 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I sure hope not. I would rather Joey be optioned to Triple A. 

Per Roch, Fry back to Norfolk, Joey coming back tomorrow. That would leave us with 11 pitchers. I have to think Gentry or Mancini is gone but maybe they keep the shuttle going with Aquino, Nuno, or Asher going back down after they pitch.

Note: The Orioles have optioned left-hander Paul Fry to Triple-A Norfolk, presumably to create a roster spot Friday for outfielder Joey Rickard.

Fry warmed up tonight but didn’t pitch.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Per Roch, Fry back to Norfolk, Joey coming back tomorrow. That would leave us with 11 pitchers. I have to think Gentry or Mancini is gone but maybe they keep the shuttle going with Aquino, Nuno, or Asher going back down after they pitch.

Note: The Orioles have optioned left-hander Paul Fry to Triple-A Norfolk, presumably to create a roster spot Friday for outfielder Joey Rickard.

Fry warmed up tonight but didn’t pitch.

Thank you for the info.

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I could see:

Fry down, Rickard up -- 4 SP 7RP

Tues: Tillman up, Aquino/Asher down.

After Tues: Britton up; Rickard/Mancini down.

Sounds good, but depending on L/R matchups, and performance, it might be Gentry DFA.  If Rickard and Mancini hit well against these LH SP's we're about to face, then it's going to make it real hard to send one of them down.  Especially considering that Gentry is going to just be a pinch runner and defensive sub with Rickard back.  

I think Gentry would clear waviers.  We make a big deal about him hitting lefties, playing defense and his speed, but Bourn does all of those better and he's on the mend.  Losing Gentry is no big deal.  

8 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

I believe outfield defense is more important and valuable than a platoon bat but that's just me. 

And then there is Jonny Gomes, a "defensive liability, even in left field," according to an ESPN article about the Red Sox signing him to a two year, $10million contract. He sure could hit lefties, though.

Seems to me, a lot of team's like both kinds of players to serve the two backup outfield positions: a bopper vs. lefties, like Gomes, and a strong defensive player who runs the bases well and, hopefully hits righties ok, Maybe the latter is best represented on the Orioles currently by Craig Gentry.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

And then there is Jonny Gomes, a "defensive liability, even in left field," according to an ESPN article about the Red Sox signing him to a two year, $10million contract in 2012. He sure could hit lefties, though.

Seems to me, a lot of team's like both kinds of players to serve the two backup outfield positions: a bopper vs. lefties, like Gomes, and a strong defensive player who runs the bases well and, hopefully hits righties ok, Maybe the latter is best represented on the Orioles currently by Craig Gentry.

Archived