Schoop Should Be Hitting 4th or 5th...

ORIOLE33

No way should he still be hitting 7th. Chris Davis nor Trumbo should be getting more at bats than Schoop. I understand Buck wants that production at the bottom of the lineup, but at this stage, Schoop would give Manny and Jones much better protection. 

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

No way should he still be hitting 7th. Chris Davis nor Trumbo should be getting more at bats than Schoop. I understand Buck wants that production at the bottom of the lineup, but at this stage, Schoop would give Manny and Jones much better protection. 

Protection is a myth but I have no problem giving Schoop more at bats than Trumbo or Davis right now.

He hit 6th yesterday. I could certainly see him hitting 5th ahead of Trumbo. The problem is we have a lot of RH hitters, so there is no good place to put Schoop without making it easy for other teams to match up (although he does have reverse splits, hmmmm).

5 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Short term trends? Davis' struggles are not short term.

Davis has had a higher OPS than Schoop every year that Schoop has been in the majors.    By more than 100 points in each of 2014 and 2015, and by 40 points last year.    Buck's not going to let 26 games affect his thinking much.   

Keep telling yourselves that. Schoop is by far a better hitter than Davis is "right now." All Davis is is a SO waiting to happen with a few walks in between. 

The problem is that unless your name isn't Davis, you're not given ample time to grow to prove yourself. See Kim.

Just now, ORIOLE33 said:

Keep telling yourselves that. Schoop is by far a better hitter than Davis is "right now." All Davis is is a SO waiting to happen with a few walks in between. 

The problem is that unless your name isn't Davis, you're not given ample time to grow to prove yourself. See Kim.

And in a week, it could be the reverse. Hot and cold streaks happen. You can shuffle players up and down the lineup with every hot and cold streak if you want, but I think Buck tends to favor a more set lineup.

That said, if a month from now Schoop is still tearing up the league, perhaps he'll move up.

8 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

What do you think is more predictive of the next week performance, three weeks of data or three years?

I don't agree with the OP.  Can't make drastic lineups changes based on a SSS. 

I do think Davis and Trumbo should be split up because of the K factor.  It's as simple as moving Kim into the two hole and Jones to the fifth spot.  

33 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

As I said, Buck doesn't tend to set his lineup based on what is happening "right now."    Let me ask you -- what do you think the odds are that Schoop will have a higher OPS than Davis at the end of the year?    If I had to judge that purely based on how they've looked through 26 games, I'd give Schoop very good odds.    But knowing everything about their track records, I'd put Schoop's odds at no better than 25%,

Archived