DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read it as that is a guiding principle in how Buck uses his pen. 

As near as I can tell from a cursory look at box scores...

O'Day has appeared 23 times, with 4 appearances coming while the O's were actively trailing.

Brach has appeared 25 times, with just 1 appearance coming while the O's were actively trailing.

Granted, Brach has been the closer for most of the season.

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

As near as I can tell from a cursory look at box scores...

O'Day has appeared 23 times, with 4 appearances coming while the O's were actively trailing.

Brach has appeared 25 times, with just 1 appearance coming while the O's were actively trailing.

Granted, Brach has been the closer for most of the season.

Not going to ask you to do the work but my guess is a number of those five appearances are when the pitcher in question "needed work". 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not going to ask you to do the work but my guess is a number of those five appearances are when the pitcher in question "needed work". 

In Brach's case, no doubt, because it was a game against the Twins. O'Day, dunno off hand.

I haven't posted on Ubaldo for a while .  Just thinking about his Oriole future. He was brought in from the bullpen during the 8th inning of a 2- 1 game, not sure why, it0 was a high leverage situation.  He  gave up 2 runs, making the score. 4- 1.  (I had posted a long, involved edit but lost the entire text while recharging my phone. At any rate, this should be a slightly shorter version.) While Ubaldo was pitching, Orioles fans were raining boos all over him, and more boos as he walked off the mound at the end of the inning. Ubaldo is popular with his teammates.  I do not know Os management's view of him though he is still with the team .  Orioles fans mainly despise him and they let him know about it. This has been going on for almost 4 years.  Many Os fans have nothing personal against him. They say that he may be a nice guy, but he is a horrible pitcher and management should DFA him as soon as possible. There are some on Facebook and other forums who get a bit personal with methods of running him out of town. One poster on FB compared him with a battered wife who keeps returning to her husband. 

I do not know whether Ubaldo has ever asked for his release or has he ever asked to remain on the team. However I am beginning to wonder if the time had come for him to cut ties.  He wants to improve and he might do better in a city where the home fans don"t constantly scream for his head. He could receive the coaching he so desperately needs. 

If the BP is where he's going to finish with the O's then it's time to say thanks, and good luck.

About the only BP role he's suited for is LONG LONG relief of a failed starter who's gone less then 3 inning's, and the game is most likely out of reach. Throw him out there to fill innings.

Other then that he's just taking up space that would be better suited by just about anybody on the Norfolk shuttle.

If Buck wants a 7 man pen he does not have that with Ubaldo taking up a seat out there.

JMHO

9 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

If the BP is where he's going to finish with the O's then it's time to say thanks, and good luck.

About the only BP role he's suited for is LONG LONG relief of a failed starter who's gone less then 3 inning's, and the game is most likely out of reach. Throw him out there to fill innings.

Other then that he's just taking up space that would be better suited by just about anybody on the Norfolk shuttle.

If Buck wants a 7 man pen he does not have that with Ubaldo taking up a seat out there.

JMHO

I agree with you that long relief in low leverage situations is now the role that Ubaldo needs perhaps with an 8 man pen. He needs a LOT of coaching. Either with the idea of eventually going back to starting or else converting to a long/middle reliever.  I am thinking that the Orioles are not the team right now that can provide the setting that he needs. Perhaps a rebuilding team but not a team like the Orioles who are in the middle of playoff chase. Especially being the particular target of many angry Orioles fans who are determined to run him out of town. 

I am not sure what Orioles management intends to do with him. So far,  no signs of a DFA. 

14 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I haven't posted on Ubaldo for a while .  Just thinking about his Oriole future. He was brought in from the bullpen during the 8th inning of a 2- 1 game, not sure why, it0 was a high leverage situation.  

If you're going to be in the bullpen, then sooner or later, you're going to pitch in a close game. It's hard to avoid, especially for a team that plays in as many close games as the Orioles. There will be times when other, better relievers are unavailable and you have to pitch when it's not just a mop-up situation.

If Ubaldo can't be trusted in a close game ever, then it's hard to see how the O's can keep him on the team much longer.

On 6/4/2017 at 8:49 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I read it as that is a guiding principle in how Buck uses his pen. 

Me too. He's clear as day has his A squad and his B/C squad in the bullpen.

He has very clear 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys.

He has a closer.

He very rarely deviates from that. His A squad will very, very rarely see a game where it isn't tied or the team doesn't have the lead. 

Maybe that's just his way of managing innings. I.e. he doesn't want to burn up arms in a losing effort.

I just don't think it's defensible bringing in Ubaldo in a close game. But let's not pretend that this is some random occurrence for Buck. He had no business bringing in Ubaldo instead of Britton or Bundy in the playoff game last year. And even though this wasn't as egregious (i.e. it wasn't tied and it's not a playoff game)...it does show you clear as day how Buck wants to handle his bullpen.

Essentially the A squad (Givens, O'Day, Brach)...and then everybody else (Hart, Bleier, Wright, Ubaldo). That said, his B squad is pretty bad. Hart has been terrible this year, Wright has been erratic already in relief, Bleier has an unimpressive 1.20 SO/W ratio and a 3.5 SO/9 rate, and Ubaldo is just awful.

So, yeah, I get it. He can't burn out his A squad...but we had an off day today. I just don't understand why Ubaldo is the first in the pecking order there.

25 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Essentially the A squad (Givens, O'Day, Brach)...and then everybody else (Hart, Bleier, Wright, Ubaldo). That said, his B squad is pretty bad. Hart has been terrible this year, Wright has been erratic already in relief, Bleier has an unimpressive 1.20 SO/W ratio and a 3.5 SO/9 rate, and Ubaldo is just awful.

So, yeah, I get it. He can't burn out his A squad...but we had an off day today. I just don't understand why Ubaldo is the first in the pecking order there.

Exactly.  We don't have that quality in the pen 4-7 like we have in the past.  Wright could be a decent 4th guy.  Hart was a decent LOOGY.  Bleier's numbers look good but he looks like he's been a bit lucky.  Of course Ubaldo is just mop up.  

I bet Ubaldo survives and we see Hart or Bleier go for Edwin Jackson.  

Archived