DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

He's not just hurting the team's record, he's getting bullpen guys sent down and demoted constantly because of his pitiful starts.

The team looks demoralized every time he talks takes the mound and walks the entire lineup.

A few brief bright spots do not make up for 3 1/2 awful years.

It's time to cut the cord and give someone with some actual upside a chance. Ubaldo is not even remotely good enough for a contending team.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I am wondering whether Ubaldo's "good guy" reputation with his teammates is a factor in Os management not cutting him outright. I have read many people here and in other places talking about how Ubaldo and his performances are supposedly ruining team morale. It's possible that cutting him outright might negatively affect team morale. Yep, I  know that these guys are professionals and therefore are used to seeing nice, favorite teammates get cut, traded, etc.

It's probably the opposite. The players understand that management is putting Ubaldo in this position. As frustrating as it is, they're not going to take the Ubaldo situation out on Ubaldo the dude.

13 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I am wondering whether Alan Mills can really convert Ubaldo into a long reliever.  This would be a last resort rather than cutting him right now

I think Kevin-Gregging him would be a decent choice.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:46 AM, eddie83 said:

Hate to keep harping on the same point but the fact that Castro was sent down for Wilson BEFORE the game says it all. The Orioles are telling everyone including Ubaldo we don't trust you. 

If Asher fails they can always send him back to the pen. Have to try something and stop running someone out there that the team is afraid of. If they are fortunate enough to be in the race in late July perhaps DD can pull off a Joe Saunders type.  

I don't think sending Castro down in favor of Wilson was entirely about Ubaldo.    The O's have a work plan for Castro and even though he did decently in his two appearances I think the O's believe he needs to work on certain things to be an effective major league pitcher.    He's now pitching every fifth day in Bowie, piggybacking off Scott.   He threw 4.1 innings yesterday.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don't think sending Castro down in favor of Wilson was entirely about Ubaldo.    The O's have a work plan for Castro and even though he did decently in his two appearances I think the O's believe he needs to work on certain things to be an effective major league pitcher.    He's now pitching every fifth day in Bowie, piggybacking off Scott.   He threw 4.1 innings yesterday.  

I think he was an emergency call-up for a faltering back of the Orioles bullpen that had blown five games in seven. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

4 hours ago, weams said:

I think he was an emergency call-up for a faltering back of the Orioles bullpen that had blown five games in seven. 

That makes sense except for the fact he didn't pitch at all vs Toronto. Why call him up, have him pitch well and then on the day Ubaldo pitches send him down?  Why wait?

Ubaldo is lucky again.  There is literally nobody to replace him at the moment.  Once Ynoa gets healthy and a start in at AAA he will be the guy.  Asher looks like he's too valuable to take out the rotation.  Even Verrett is on Paternity leave so we can't even bump Asher into the rotation at the moment.  Once the dust is settle I see our best 12 man staff as the following;

Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ynoa

Brach, O'day, Givens, Asher, Verrett, Hart, Fresh Arm

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ubaldo is lucky again.  There is literally nobody to replace him at the moment.  Once Ynoa gets healthy and a start in at AAA he will be the guy.  Asher looks like he's too valuable to take out the rotation.  Even Verrett is on Paternity leave so we can't even bump Asher into the rotation at the moment.  Once the dust is settle I see our best 12 man staff as the following;

Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ynoa

Brach, O'day, Givens, Asher, Verrett, Hart, Fresh Arm

Paternity leave is only three days.    When did Verrett's start?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Paternity leave is only three days.    When did Verrett's start?

Verrett pitched on 5/16 and didn't pitch again until today 5/24.  Seems like it was all a timing matter.  He's been pitching every 3-4 days in AAA and in multiple inning outings.  Guess the kid popped up around 5/20 and he missed his normal outing.  

I'd say he's ready for a callup.  He only pitched 1.1 IP today.  With an off day tomorrow, he should be called up and Wilson sent down.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, Asher's sure looking like a big upgrade today....

>:(

It was one  of those days for Asher. He looked nervous to me, even though he had started successfully before . I think he will do OK next start. As for Ubaldo,  he did his job pretty well as a mop up man, eating up innings to save the more important guys  (O'Day, Brach, Givens and others) who will be needed for higher leverage situations.

Archived