Buster Olney: 'No Chance' Orioles Re-Sign Manny Machado

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I saw the MLB games. SSS, but it was enough to say that the suggestion we simply slide Schoop over to third isn't simple at all. His footwork was particularly bad, a major issue which it can reasonably be assumed hasn't gotten much better from three years spent away from that position. 

It was 17 games.  It was 14 starts.

Yes he was very bad.

I don't think it is anything close to settled science that he can't do it, if given time and instruction.  Give him a full spring training at third and I think he's fine.

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Im a Manny fan...most of us are. But watching him botch a pop up and smiling after it..and then taking a weak, half hearted swing at a ball in the dirt yesterday in his final at bat shows me he is either distracted or disinterested. Hes still very young and must mature.Id still like to see if the Orioles can keep him, but right now he's certainly not a 30 million dollar player...and thats the market price for a player like he's been.

His ABs lately are among the worst I've seen from him in a few years. Missing pitches by a foot or more, first-pitch swinging at pitches off the plate in situations where we're down one run, nonchalanting some balls in the field... just things where you wonder if he's really locked in, or if something (not the contract, but something in his life perhaps) is keeping his head out of the game. All pure and utter speculation, but what's a message board for if not to speculate?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was 17 games.  It was 14 starts.

Yes he was very bad.

I don't think it is anything close to settled science that he can't do it, if given time and instruction.  Give him a full spring training at third and I think he's fine.

I don't disagree that he could become a serviceable third baseman. But I do differ on the opinion that a couple months of ST and he'd be fine at third. Unless we're talking Mark Reynolds fine. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The NHL?  Seriously?  The goal of the NHL cap was to reign in player salaries that gone out of control as a result of all the expansion money flooding the market.  I don't even follow the NHL and I know that.

Parity may have followed but that wasn't the reason the cap was introduced.

https://spectorshockey.net/2014/12/some-painful-truths-about-the-nhl-salary-cap/

You should read the whole thing, it's interesting.

Are you serious? You're going to pick on my "proof"? I at least provided a quote from an NHL general manager. You gave me an article from an economist that essentially begins the article calling salary caps "wide-scale collusion'" No bias there.

Are you going to provide proof that sports owners have instituted salary caps to retain more cash and not to create parity? I'm waiting for an owner quote saying that "we had no interest in parity, we only wanted more money." You brought up proof...where's your proof?

Just now, Rich Mac said:

Are you serious? You're going to pick on my "proof"? I at least provided a quote from an NHL general manager. You gave me an article from an economist that essentially begins the article calling salary caps "wide-scale collusion'" No bias there.

Are you going to provide proof that sports owners have instituted salary caps to retain more cash and not to create parity? I'm waiting for an owner quote saying that "we had no interest in parity, we only wanted more money." You brought up proof...where's your proof?

You don't think the average salary going down by ~30% counts as evidence that it was foremost about the money?

3 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I don't disagree that he could become a serviceable third baseman. But I do differ on the opinion that a couple months of ST and he'd be fine at third. Unless we're talking Mark Reynolds fine. 

I was working on the Fine= Serviceable scale.  Somewhere in the average range as long as his arm holds up.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think the average salary going down by ~30% counts as evidence that it was foremost about the money?

That proves nothing. It could be indicative of the market, the economy, or even poor player representation. It doesn't prove anything in itself.

You asked a guy who spends his entire day sitting in courtroom to provide proof and I gave you a witness. Now it's time for you to present your first witness.

19 minutes ago, Rich Mac said:

That proves nothing. It could be indicative of the market, the economy, or even poor player representation. It doesn't prove anything in itself.

You asked a guy who spends his entire day sitting in courtroom to provide proof and I gave you a witness. Now it's time for you to present your first witness.

Sorry, if you refuse to acknowledge a league wide thirty percent drop in average salaries in year one as evidence I give up.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry, if you refuse to acknowledge a league wide thirty percent drop in average salaries in year one as evidence I give up.

I'm not sure where you are getting that 30% number from...but here:

In the final season before the implementation of the salary cap, the average player salary was $1.8 million. In the first season under the cap, the average salary dropped to $1.3 million. Today, it’s $2.4 million. And while teams are limited to spending no more than 20 percent of their cap space on one player each season, it hasn’t prevented the game’s top players from earning big bucks.

That quote is from the article that YOU provided. 

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd just like to say I am finding it very amusing how quickly folks are turning on Machado.

Throw a bat at someone?  No problem.

Charge the mound and start a brawl?  Sure.

Hit 220 while the team is struggling?  Uh oh! 

I agree with you.    

58 minutes ago, weams said:

I do not believe he is a .220 hitter. 

He will be fine at the plate. Manny has always been nonchalant in the field. Likes to throw the ball at the last minute to just nab the runner. Jogs to first. Takes a long time after a homer. Just he is not hitting as well this year so people start to see the things that he has always done. The one thing that might be affecting him more this year might be his size. Manny used to be pretty thin tn the minors and now is a big boy. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I do not believe he is a .220 hitter. 

Yes, if if he continues to struggle for a while I still think he will hit .270-.280.

iI think you have to trade Manny at next offseason latest.

They should make him an offer that buys out the last Arb  year and let him say no.

At that point he should return a haul. I'm in the mindset that I would try to deal him to the Dodgers or outside of the division at least.

with that said , the return has to be a kings ransom.

Would the Marlins be interested? 

Archived