TT: The other shoe has dropped

Tony-OH

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Odd-numbered years have not been kind to the Showalter regime: 2011, 2013, 2015. Even-numbered years have been very good or great: 2012, 2014, 2016.

Which tells me the Front Office is doing a terrible job during the offseason and that each of those years we made the playoffs was off the strengths of a few who had career years. We get to the playoffs and then they are like good enough and don't do anything to try to push us over the top or look at the guys who had career years and think they will repeat

10 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

This has the look and feel of the Titanic. The piano players are out. Time for Buck and Dan to take a walk. Bring in a young, talented GM and start cleaning house, collecting top prospects and position this franchise to contend in 2020. 

You're absurd. You want to clean out not just the roster, but the coaching staff and the GM?

18 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Your assessment is a huge reason why we need to blow this thing up. It's a team not going anywhere with key players close to or entering their walk years. Time for John Angelos to step up.

Do you have ANY evidence that he'd run things differently than his father? At all?

1 hour ago, andrewochs615 said:

Which tells me the Front Office is doing a terrible job during the offseason and that each of those years we made the playoffs was off the strengths of a few who had career years. We get to the playoffs and then they are like good enough and don't do anything to try to push us over the top or look at the guys who had career years and think they will repeat

It tells me that players' performances fluctuate from year to year.    That's all.  

You could argue a good shake up is due in scouting and player development.  The farm system looks almost as bad as 15 years ago, both in terms of talent and development.  Thats Duqs biggest fault.  For all the diamonds in the rough he finds they tend to be role players.  And as valuable as they are, they do a crappy job of developing stars.  Machado is the only one really, and now that he is an established vet you don't see anyone else coming to help.

I have posted before that being .500 or over year in and year out is almost impossible.  We have had the 2nd longest consecutive streak over the last 10 years in baseball the Yanks are the only one longer then us.

I think the window closes at the end of the 2018 season. That's when a few key players will walk/have walked. I think it will be Showalter's last stand. If the team has a phenomenal year in 2018, he will be around for 2019, otherwise I think that's it. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I have posted before that being .500 or over year in and year out is almost impossible.  We have had the 2nd longest consecutive streak over the last 10 years in baseball the Yanks are the only one longer then us.

I think both teams will be continuing those streaks at least one more year. Unfortunately, the Yankees have the much brighter outlook overall. 

Archived