Jhonny Peralta

Going Underground

Peralta's interesting because his contract was a comp point for Hardy when Hardy's free agency was looming.     Before the 2014 season,  the Cards had signed him to a 4 year, $53 mm deal, covering ages 32-35.    To that point in his career, Peralta had been worth 24.5 rWAR, including 3.4 in the immediately preceding season and 8.2 in the preceding three.   In the first year of his new deal, 2014, Peralta had a 5.7 rWAR season, worth about triple what he got paid.

As 2014 ended and Hardy's free agency was looming, he was also headed into his age 32 season.   Hardy had been worth 23.5 rWAR in his career, including 3.3 in the 2014 season and 10.5 in 2012-14.   So, very similar to Peralta.    And his deal was for a similar annual amount, except that Hardy's fourth year was not guaranteed.

Well, both Peralta and Hardy went drastically downhill from there.    Peralta's been worth 1.8, -0.5, and -0.2 rWAR.    Hardy's been worth 0.0, 2.1 and -0.8.     

I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that these guys would decline so precipitously.    I had done a small study of comparable past shortstops at ages 32-34 and the decline was not that bad.   I favored the deal and was glad the guaranteed portion was only three years.    But there were plenty of posters who opposed the Hardy deal, and in hindsight, they've been proven correct.    

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Titanic... deck chairs.... Need to start rebuild... get rid of all players over 30

Then wouldn't you be getting rid of a lot of the better players on the team. Face it. The owner will never allow a rebuild. 

59 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Then wouldn't you be getting rid of a lot of the better players on the team. Face it. The owner will never allow a rebuild. 

It's too soon to say if we need to start a rebuild this season.   But that decision will need to be made in 5-6 weeks.    I'm hoping the team will play well and a rebuild won't even be under discussion.   But if we were to have a losing record by then, and the owners won't allow a rebuild, then they're fools.

10 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Titanic... deck chairs.... Need to start rebuild... get rid of all players over 30

At first I thought this was a parody of a webbrick post. Then I saw it was actually webbrick. 

But the FO is incompetent, so we can't trust them to get the best return for the players. And we can't get rid of the owner. So what we really need is Angelos to move the team to Vegas and hope MLB gives us a new one with a better owner. That's the only way this franchise will ever be any good again. 

Archived