If the Green Light is Given....Do you trust DD not to jack it up?

birdcrazy

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There's no reason we need to spend another 14 years in the wilderness.  A lot of ineptitude and poor fortune went into that. 

Teams that rebuild intelligently can do it in 2-4 seasons.  Trying to stretch this group out and trading away more of our top prospects is much more likely to result in a decade stretch of futility than going for the smart rebuild. 

The teams that do it intelligently have better farm systems to start with.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, esmd said:

Notable DD deals done with the Red Sox:

Date Player(s) Traded Player(s) Acquired
December 9, 1994 Otis Nixon/Luis Ortiz Jose Canseco
July 31, 1997 Heathcliff Slocumb Derek Lowe/Jason Varitek
November 18, 1997 Carl Pavano/Tony Armas Pedro Martinez
December 14, 1999 Greg Miller/Adam Everett Carl Everett
July 31, 2001 Tomo Ohka/Rich Rundles Ugueth Urtaín Urbina

You forgot one. Jamie Moyer to the Mariners, late 1990s . Moyer went on to become an elite pitcher for the Mariners. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The teams that do it intelligently have better farm systems to start with.

You have to start somewhere.  

The prognosis for our OF and right side of the IF/catcher looks pretty good going forward.  

We need SP (badly) and left side of the infield.  A few good trades can fill some of those holes.  

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Should take less than that.     

I think being at under .500 around the deadline, we are sellers.  I would just be surprised if Machado or Britton are on the move.  Duquette will make some conservative trades involving pending free agents and maybe Brad Brach with an eye towards next year. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

You have to start somewhere.  

The prognosis for our OF and right side of the IF/catcher looks pretty good going forward.  

We need SP (badly) and left side of the infield.  A few good trades can fill some of those holes.  

Not to mention they have money coming off the books after this year (maybe even more with trades) that could be used to fill holes further. So I don't think a rebuild would be as devastating as people make it out.

20 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe Duquette has made way more good trades than poor ones. I won't even list them all here, but clearly he has. He has faltered with pitching additions with the possible exceptions of Miller, (briefly he had good picks ups with Bud Norris, and Joe Blanton, and even Scott Feldman when we needed them to be decent).But he made some moves to "put us over the top" and he did. They were short term gambles but many worked in the short term. The problem this organization has had for a long time is an inability to develop pitching talent and enduring injuries(Hunter Harvey, Bundy, and even Hobgood) . Only one of those players has ever been healthy enough to help us, but all were highly regarded.I think Duquette has done a better job that he is given credit for, and besides you have to take the good with the bad in life. Most of the time he's been here this team has been in the mix for the post season. I can't knock that .

Perhaps it is clear to you... it's clear to me that almost every July trade, and every extension has been a disaster that has gotten us to an old overpaid roster with and a trashed farm system... clearly that is his legacy

13 hours ago, birdcrazy said:

Simple question. If Angelos magically said trade everyone, and rebuild the system...do you think he would be competent to do it. I have not been impressed by his trades (except maybe Trumbo), and certainly don't see him pulling McPhail caliber stuff.

Of course I'd trust him. He is a competent GM. He wasn't hired to rebuild he was hired to compete. But he has built teams successfully in the past, no reason to think he couldn't do it here. But the point is moot IMO they wont be sellers before the off season.

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe Duquette has made way more good trades than poor ones. I won't even list them all here, but clearly he has. He has faltered with pitching additions with the possible exceptions of Miller, (briefly he had good picks ups with Bud Norris, and Joe Blanton, and even Scott Feldman when we needed them to be decent).But he made some moves to "put us over the top" and he did. They were short term gambles but many worked in the short term. The problem this organization has had for a long time is an inability to develop pitching talent and enduring injuries(Hunter Harvey, Bundy, and even Hobgood) . Only one of those players has ever been healthy enough to help us, but all were highly regarded.I think Duquette has done a better job that he is given credit for, and besides you have to take the good with the bad in life. Most of the time he's been here this team has been in the mix for the post season. I can't knock that .

Not a chance. He's killed the organization for a few years of flirting with hope. 

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps it is clear to you... it's clear to me that almost every July trade, and every extension has been a disaster that has gotten us to an old overpaid roster with and a trashed farm system... clearly that is his legacy

Indeed

3 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

Not a chance. He's killed the organization for a few years of flirting with hope. 

Hope is sooo overrated isn't it?

Oh how I long for the good old days of the robustly healthy organization so lovingly nurtured by Peter Angelos and his cronies - errr, diligent trustyworthy and responsible professional staff.  Good times, good times...

Archived