Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Meh.   He’s doing well, but I wouldn’t say he’s dominating.    I’m perfectly happy with him spending the full year there.

I just see Tucker Davidson - a very similar type prospect - also 23 - with the Braves getting promoted to AAA a day or so ago, and he's performed worse than Lowther at every level.  Btw, the Braves also promoted 3 of their top prospects with him to AAA - all age 20 or 21.  I prefer the Braves more aggressive approach - rewarding the players quicker and more importantly - challenging them.      

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I just see Tucker Davidson - a very similar type prospect - also 23 - with the Braves getting promoted to AAA a day or so ago, and he's performed worse than Lowther at every level.  Btw, the Braves also promoted 3 of their top prospects with him to AAA - all age 20 or 21.  I prefer the Braves more aggressive approach - rewarding the players quicker and more importantly - challenging them.      

While the Braves strategy does offer some immediate gratification, they really have had a bunch of failed/disappointing pitching prospects. I'm not saying that's directly tied to their aggressive promotion strategy, but it's worth considering. 

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Tucker Davidson has plus velocity and could potentially help the Braves in the bullpen this year. Also, he was drafted a year before Lowther and thus needs to be added to the 40-man roster this off-season.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Tucker Davidson has plus velocity and could potentially help the Braves in the bullpen this year. Also, he was drafted a year before Lowther and thus needs to be added to the 40-man roster this off-season.

And they may have a pressing need in the middle of a pennant race. Really apples and oranges how a team in year 1/2 of a rebuild should develop talent, IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Meh.   He’s doing well, but I wouldn’t say he’s dominating.    I’m perfectly happy with him spending the full year there.

I was hoping they'd give him a month at Norfolk, but now I think a pennant race would be worth something. I thought I read somewhere he touched 93-94 with his fastball.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I was hoping they'd give him a month at Norfolk, but now I think a pennant race would be worth something. I thought I read somewhere he touched 93-94 with his fastball.

He did, towards the end of last year as a starter and also in the Eastern League All-Star game this year. (although that was a one inning outing). 

• Upvote 1

I watched most of his outing last night on video and although it was a press box camera angle, it was decent game to watch for him. Didn't get any velocity numbers but he gets a lot of swing an misses in his fastball up in the zone. He clearly gets the extension towards the batter and most have a high spin rate so batters wing under a lot of fastballs. His curveball was pretty good yesterday but hit spikes a bunch of them still and throws too many noncompetitive curveballs. The change was pretty good and also got some swings an misses.

As for his promotion, you can build a case that he's ready to go up and get some AAA action, but with the Baysox doing well, Elias may want to just keep him where he's at to finish the year and let him "grow up" in a winning environment.

Like Wells, his fastball is not going to blow anyone away due to velocity but have high spin rates judging by the amount swings and misses up in the zone and both can throw three pitches for strikes.

• Upvote 1

McInturff:

“Pitchability LHP who can succeed without big velocity. Has the off-speed and control/command to fill a back-rotation role. High-floor prospect that's close to ready.”

Likes the movement on his fastball and his “effective big league breaking ball.”

Also:  “Pitchability guy w/ plus feel; knows how to mix pitches and hide the ball; everything around the plate, though walk rate has backed up. Learning to nibble against better hitters, think he adjusts and can improve control.”

More in the report.   https://2080baseball.com/reports/zac-lowther-2/

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lowther pitched a pretty good game today, but took the loss: 7 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K’s.  ERA to 2.71.

Without seeing the game-the line is better than “pretty good.” WHiP under 1, more than a k/inning, give up only 2 earned over 7.  

Edited by Punchandjudy

• 2 weeks later...